What's new

Kickstand - Won't It Easily Break?

reach

Hi there!
When looking at the new flatter kickstand position, I can't help but thinking of somebody pressing it down accidently, maybe sitting on it or whatever, so that it would be bent 180° and break.
Is there a mechanism to let it survive this? If not, does yours look like this can be easily repaired, without replacing the whole body?
Thx!
reach

D

Deleted member 10837

surfacebeak.gif

daniielrp

I don't think it could easily break, you'd need to put a lot of pressure on it for it to snap off. I've had the original RT and now the SP2 and neither felt flimsy. Though if it ever does break, it should be very easy to replace as it just has two screws that attach it to the main unit.

oion

Well, it's made out of magnesium like the rest if the body, so I highly doubt "easily." Are you one of those clumsy folks who sits on everything? ;)

That said, I think that'd be covered by warranty.

rubaxter

I don't think it could easily break, you'd need to put a lot of pressure on it for it to snap off. I've had the original RT and now the SP2 and neither felt flimsy. Though if it ever does break, it should be very easy to replace as it just has two screws that attach it to the main unit.

I'd imagine hinge failure is the ugly issue.

I'd imagine (hope, really) the weak link is the panel or cap screws holding the two components together (explosive cap screws :))??

mitchellvii

Anything will break eventually if you abuse the hell out of it. As long as you us it as a kickstand and not a tire jack you should be fine.

OP
R

reach

@Name Taken
Funny "video" thanks! Is there a story behind it? How much is the repair after this treatment?

CrippsCorner

I'm not sure it would be easy to repair... remember the Surface got the lowest score possible for repairability on iFixit!

Ruffles

It's hard to tell in the gif but it looks like the stand itself finally bends - not the hinges breaking. If so, you could probably unscrew the old hinge and replace it.