What's new

Landscape VS portrait

Ruffles

I noticed the Windows home button has moved. I wonder if MS is intending the SP3 to be used more in portrait orientation?

Korlon

The new keyboard attaches at the base but also folds up along the bottom bezel to accommodate the 150 degree angle and to create a downward sloping keyboard which I think is a really nice improvement to the flat keyboard. Anyways the windows button had to be moved otherwise it would have been completely covered by the new keyboard design.

On another note, if used in portrait the keyboard is completely useless, which is something MS should have thought about before discontinuing the Bluetooth adaptor. Personally I'm not a fan of the on screen keyboard.

beq

In addition to providing a sloped typing surface, the keyboard's magnetic strip attachment to the bottom bezel is also touted to increase hinge rigidity when placed on one's lap.

Though when placed on a flat table, one reviewer thought the sloped typing position felt kinda mushy (then again you could just pull out the magnetic strip away from the bezel and lay the keyboard flat in that case).

I'm guessing the extra folds of the magnetic strip area may also allow the keyboard to be folded around to the back of the SP3 with less stress, avoiding the risk of popping out completely (even when using a case)? Though I still wouldn't like to feel the keys when gripping the back, so I'd still pop the keyboard in the reverse way...

Last edited:

Korlon

Fair point. Too bad it felt mushy, I was kind of happy to see the sloped keyboard feature. Maybe MS will improve the backing of the keyboard for SP4 lol.

kundas1

On another note, if used in portrait the keyboard is completely useless, which is something MS should have thought about before discontinuing the Bluetooth adaptor. Personally I'm not a fan of the on screen keyboard.

Are you sure about this? Where is this written? There's no way MS would do away with the BT adapter when so many important BT devices exists... like BT headphones not to mention more importantly the BT mouse!

kristalsoldier

In addition to providing a sloped typing surface, the keyboard's magnetic strip attachment to the bottom bezel is also touted to increase hinge rigidity when placed on one's lap.

Though when placed on a flat table, one reviewer thought the sloped typing position felt kinda mushy (then again you could just pull out the magnetic strip away from the bezel and lay the keyboard flat in that case).

I'm guessing the extra folds of the magnetic strip area may also allow the keyboard to be folded around to the back of the SP3 with less stress, avoiding the risk of popping out completely (even when using a case)? Though I still wouldn't like to feel the keys when gripping the back, so I'd still pop the keyboard in the reverse way...

I was thinking about that as I was seeing Panos' demo. I wonder if the KB in that position would be a bit too "bouncy" for lack of a better term.

CrippsCorner

The new keyboard attaches at the base but also folds up along the bottom bezel to accommodate the 150 degree angle and to create a downward sloping keyboard which I think is a really nice improvement to the flat keyboard. Anyways the windows button had to be moved otherwise it would have been completely covered by the new keyboard design.

This point it moot because once you've attached the keyboard you have the Windows key on there that you can use. Also, for people saying it's better at the side when holding the machine, I don't agree... you're much more likely to accidentally touch it there, plus you won't be holding it anyway when the keyboard is attached to 'lapability' mode! Really stupid decision imo and it looks shit.

Korlon

Kayzee, its not just about functionality. It's the Logo. What company in the world would want their logo covered on their products? I agree with you 100% that I think the placement Is rather odd. Thin bezel and holding the sp3 up in your hands in landscape you are bound to hit that button whether you want to or not making it very awkward. But then, maybe because the sp3 is a 12" screen you'll have enough space to hold the edges without problems. I'd have to see it in person.

bluegrass

There's no way that they did away with Bluetooth on the SP3 series. Bluetooth is a lock on all modern digital devices.