What's new

Large Failed File Transfer Has Filled Up Hard Drive

ncameron

I appreciate that this is not a specific Surface issue; but was hoping someone here would be able to help.

I was trying to copy a large group of files from a old Netgear Stora network storage device onto a new USB attached drive. It chose to prepare a massive Zip file of all the files and then, after several hours, failed trying to transfer it.

When I rebooted my PC I found that my system hard drive - which hitherto had 1/3 free of 500 Gb - was now completely full.

I'm sure that this is because the OS was using some temporary files or cache to effect the file transfer, and had not cleared it up.

But for the life of me I can't find where it is!

I have run Window System Clean-Up (with System files selected) but that doesn't do it. I have looked for Large Files in Windows Explorer but that doesn't show it.

Where is it; and how do I get rid of it?

OP
N

ncameron

SOLVED.

In case it helps anyone else I downloaded WiseCare 365 which found and deleted some 200Gb of Windows temporary files stored somewhere that were missed by Disk Clean-Up and ccleaner - why they couldn't do that I have no idea!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How did you initiate the copy/transfer, what command or steps did you use if done via GUI?
What was the size of the source drive (used space), target drive (free space)?