What's new

Larger screen for the next Surface

razy60

That is an All in One (AKA - AiO) which I referenced above, I could see them going in that direction.
But it is fully portable as it has a battery so its a huge tablet.
clear.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
clear.png
Fully Portable is debatable, these AiO are also referred to as Tabletop Computers,...designed to move from room to room vs. to Starbucks.

Sony has the Tap20, Lenovo has 2 or 3 versions and then there is the Dell XPS 18...battery life is typically under 4 hours

daniielrp

clear.png

Ha that reminds me of this:

dellm2010.jpg 20.jpg

I always wanted one as they looked so cool. But Portable? Really? As Jeff said they can move from room to room, but you could hardly get it out on a flight to do some last minute changes to a document before the big meeting!

kristalsoldier

I see many people want Microsoft to enter into all segments of the Computing Landscape and do to laptops what they did for Productivity Tablets, but the OEMs actually make really good laptops and traditional convertibles, where the OEMs have struggled is in the Tablet Space...

I could see a Surface AiO in the 18-22" Space though....

Now that would be really cool!!! If the fit and finish is like the iMac, coupled with a Surface Pro 3 or x (or whatever it is when the AIO comes out), and a high-end Win 10 phone...that would be an excellent set up!

silkrooster

I like this size, great for portability. If I needed it larger, I could connect a monitor or use the wireless adapter to see it on the TV.
So for traveling, I currently can not see a need for a larger monitor.
Soon as Microsoft convinces 3rd party programmers like Adobe to switch to the vector User interface, the happier we all will be.

bluegrass

I see that size does matter for some people. I like the size of the SP3. I think it's a great size compromise for use as a tablet. I'm a bit of a dreamer and I can see the day when a screen will unfold into something four times the carry around size. When I'm at my desk at work or at home, I just drop it into my docking station and use a USB wireless mouse and keyboard with a 24" screen.

daniielrp

what is that thing? look macho

Dell XPS M2010 - actually a really good media center - 20" screen, 8 speakers and subwoofer, inbuilt tv tuner, top loading disk drive etc. Was released as a Windows XP with Media Center portable AIO, still costs quite a bit 2nd hand haha.

silkrooster

Maybe what needs to be on the market is large screen portable monitor that can be battery operated, is hd, has wireless and usb connections besides hdmi and light weight.
Just a thought.

drolem

Since Satya Nadella and Panos Panay have guarenteed that the next version would be compatible with all of the SP3 Accessories (including the Dock), the only way to get a larger screen is to radically reduce the Bezel Width, while possible not sure it would allow for needed integrity for the device.
That is correct, and since the next version will only differ in the CPU, that should be very easy to accomplish. However, there is also a plan for a 14" version that will be compatible with all accessories but the dock (for obvious reasons), and the SP3 type cover will look a little funny.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is correct, and since the next version will only differ in the CPU, that should be very easy to accomplish. However, there is also a plan for a 14" version that will be compatible with all accessories but the dock (for obvious reasons), and the SP3 type cover will look a little funny.
There is???? You're putting faith in the DigiTimes story?