What's new

Larger screen for the next Surface

OP
K

kwright

I've thought about compatibility with the current dock and think that this could be solved with some protrusions on the back of a larger tablet. The SP3 is a very frequent site in the hospital and the extra size makes viewing tracking boards, X-rays and spread sheets much easier.

In it's current format I spend a lot of time zooming and see others squinting and trying to hit targets the size of 10 pixels with the pen.

In the long run the software needs an update to become touch friendly.

It has made my work much easier.

Nys299

12 inch is the maximum I would purchase for a tablet/laptop hybrid. Another important issue is the 3:2 aspect ratio which makes the Surface Pro 3 superior to all the hybrid wannabes out there. My SP3 replaced my Yoga 2 Pro which has a 13.3 inch (16:9) display and I am so happy with it. I love my Yoga Pro 2 as a laptop, but it is far to heavy and far to crazily long to be used as a tablet. With the 3:2 aspect ratio I find that the weight of the SP3 is pretty spread out. Of course I hope that the next iterations of the device will maintain similar screen size and aspect ratio (I don't mind 4:3 as well) but make it even lighter and thinner. Any larger and it will also become unwieldy.

bluegrass

Maybe what needs to be on the market is large screen portable monitor that can be battery operated, is hd, has wireless and usb connections besides hdmi and light weight.
Just a thought.

There are such animals but they ain't cheap. Just Google around or go to Amazon and search for a battery operated monitor. You'll find some.

drolem

I've thought about compatibility with the current dock and think that this could be solved with some protrusions on the back of a larger tablet.
Nah, forget about anything kludgy -- that would defeat other desirable attributes. It has to be equally thin everywhere. Upon further thinking, it is possible to make a dock that can accept different sizes as long as the connectors are at the same place.

my entire reason for having a surface pro is portability , much lighter than a laptop and easier to carry everyday. The surface pro 3 is as big as I want to go for a mobile device.

drolem

There are 2 important aspects to portability: size and weight. As long as they can keep weight in the same ballpark, the extra 2" and the additional pixels that come with it would be very nice.

Just compare the Pro or the Pro 2 to the Pro 3. Which one is more portable? Methinks it's not even close. ;)

The main target would be business people, and a somewhat bigger screen would be a welcome addition for them.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are 2 important aspects to portability: size and weight. As long as they can keep weight in the same ballpark, the extra 2" and the additional pixels that come with it would be very nice.

Just compare the Pro or the Pro 2 to the Pro 3. Which one is more portable? Methinks it's not even close. ;)

The main target would be business people, and a somewhat bigger screen would be a welcome addition for them.
Maybe they can fill it with pressurized hydrogen to make it lighter than Air. :) No wait, that wont work and there's that nasty Hindenburg incident as well :D

silkrooster

Only if the extra pixels come from the size difference and not an increase in overall resolution. There are way too many complaining now about how small some apps are. Though, I feel that is an issue with the programmer. Who is still using bitmapped graphics and type for the user interface.
But for pictures, I actually love the extra resolution.

drolem

Only if the extra pixels come from the size difference and not an increase in overall resolution.
Nope. Size increase will also involve a more or less proportional resolution increase.

There are way too many complaining now about how small some apps are.
That's an issue with the apps. New apps should not depend on resolution or some assumed ppi, though it would be nice if the OS had the ability to set set custom magnification ratios on a per window basis to deal with legacy apps that doesn't work too well with these relatively small, but high resolution and high ppi screens.

silkrooster

Nope. Size increase will also involve a more or less proportional resolution increase.

That's an issue with the apps. New apps should not depend on resolution or some assumed ppi, though it would be nice if the OS had the ability to set set custom magnification ratios on a per window basis to deal with legacy apps that doesn't work too well with these relatively small, but high resolution and high ppi screens.
Is there specs out on the next version? Otherwise we need to wait to see what the resolution will be.
You are right New apps are suppose to be resolution independent. Someone on Microsoft told so. It is trying to convince current apps to get updated. Depending on the app it could take awhile. But they could be aiming one or two versions later. If only they would say so.

ptrkhh

I'm a bit bummed because I would like to see a thinner/lighter Surface. I was thinking they could offer a thinner model and some sort of an "insert" to keep compatibility with the dock. but probably not. I suppose they can make it lighter while keeping the same thickness, though. Of course, with a USB port there's only so much thinner it can get...
Don't worry, the Acer W700 (U-series Intel) and the thinner P3 (Y-series) share the same docking station, so the hope is still there....

Nah, forget about anything kludgy -- that would defeat other desirable attributes. It has to be equally thin everywhere. Upon further thinking, it is possible to make a dock that can accept different sizes as long as the connectors are at the same place.
Disagree, if it has more weight on the bottom than the top, 'lapability' would increase (center of weight ratio), as well as one-handed use in portrait mode (moment of inertia)

it would be nice if the OS had the ability to set set custom magnification ratios on a per window basis to deal with legacy apps that doesn't work too well with these relatively small, but high resolution and high ppi screens.
Ive seen some software with large, pixelated font, as if it was forced to be magnified, so I think it should be possible.