What's new

Largest Reliable Micro SD available for the SP4?

Hi, folks. I use my SP4 (16 GB Ram, 512 GB SSD) as my main work computer but one place it's lacking is disk space. I have lots of external USB drives I use with the SP4 but I would love to have more internal disk space.

Right now I have the 128 GB external drive which is good but I would love to have 1TB or even 2 TBs available internally. What's the largest Micro SD anyone has gotten to work reliably with their SP? I see some 1 TB cards but they seem to be of dubious quality and reliability - I'll wait for a solid SSD even if it's very expensive before I go for something cheap,

Thanks!

Jesse

Hi, folks. I use my SP4 (16 GB Ram, 512 GB SSD) as my main work computer but one place it's lacking is disk space. I have lots of external USB drives I use with the SP4 but I would love to have more internal disk space.

Right now I have the 128 GB external drive which is good but I would love to have 1TB or even 2 TBs available internally. What's the largest Micro SD anyone has gotten to work reliably with their SP? I see some 1 TB cards but they seem to be of dubious quality and reliability - I'll wait for a solid SSD even if it's very expensive before I go for something cheap,

Thanks!

Jesse

Currently only 256GB MSDXCs or MSDHCs and they're expensive. You can do a 200GB one though for about $70-80.

Afy

Use an external drive. You can pick up a 1TB SSD quite cheaply (relative) and its the size of a credit card.

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

Use an external drive. You can pick up a 1TB SSD quite cheaply (relative) and its the size of a credit card.
That's what I do now, and it's dog slow and unreliable. Most days I cannot use iTunes - I have to shut down and restart iTunes until it works and sometimes I need to reboot the SP4.

I've used external drives on many laptops and computers but never had a performance/reliability issue until the SP4. I'm hoping an internal Micro SD card might make the performance tolerable and allow my applications to work reliably.

ScottyS

Define "relatively cheap" please.
All I can find on Amazon at 1TB that call themselves credit card size are over $1000, and the regular sized portable external USB SSDs are over $300.
I've been waiting for the price to come down, is there another place I should be shopping?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Samsung EVO Pro's in all of my devices, ranging from 16GB- 128GB . The reason I use Samsung is.... The Samsung MicroSD cards are built for punishment in the Samsung Line of Phones. I have used other MicroSD cards without issues, but I have had friends who have lost tons of data by using a cheaper MicroSD. The EVO stands up to heat which is what can easily kill a MicoSD. I have had the same Samsung EVO Pro cards for 4+ years without failure. I highly recommend them. I have had both good and bad success with SanDISK. However, I have never had a Samsung EVO fail me...........Yet.....

Granted you are looking for the largest capacity MicroSD - I thought I would mention the EVO in the for its proven reliability.

This is taken from a review of the Samsung Evo Pro - "The new Samsung EVO microSD line is designed for the more mainstream demographic of consumers, specifically for those looking for reliable performance with their high-end smart phones, tablets, and cameras. The EVO Series microSD cards come in three different capacities, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB - each sporting a sleek white and orange design. These tiny flash cards are also water, shock, magnet, X-ray and temperature proof."

Here is the link to the Review.

Samsung 32GB EVO microSD Memory Card Review (MB-MP32D) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Attachments

• StorageReview-Samsung-32GB-EVO-microSD-Memory-Card.jpg
    StorageReview-Samsung-32GB-EVO-microSD-Memory-Card.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited: