What's new

Latest Firmware - Battery Weirdness!

MrTPN

Hey Guys,

So since the latest firmware update i have noticed that my Surface Pro 2 is acting a little erratically.

The only power options i ever modified was that the lid-closing action is disabled and that it sleeps after 5 minutes (i move between meetings allot and want to retain lync conversations on the go and not loose the "flow" of them by going offline as i move around the office/meetings/buildings.

However i have noticed a few times that that the Pro simply does-not sleep after the 5 minute threshold. Also a few times when i have popped the unit in my bag (After a full charge) and pulled it out an hour later after driving home the unit is warm to the touch, the fans are spinning like crazy and its drained its battery :S

I ran the Power Report and see nothing amazingly worrying in there that leads me to believe there is a configuration issue. I would greatly appreciate a second pair of eyes on this to make sure i am not being a numpty though :)

Code:
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
Computer Name TOMSSURFACEPRO 
Scan Time 2013-12-16T20:54:07Z 
Scan Duration 60 seconds  
System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation 
System Product Name Surface Pro 2 
BIOS Date 11/08/2013 
BIOS Version 2.04.0250 
OS Build 9600 
Platform Role PlatformRoleSlate 
Plugged In false 
Process Count 65 
Thread Count 1015 
Report GUID {5553e2c4-830c-4d1d-906a-437422bd5814}  

Analysis Results
Errors
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:Disk idle is disabled (Plugged In)
The disk is not configured to turn off after a period of disk inactivity.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Composite Device 
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31 
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0 
Device ID USB\VID_1286&PID_2044 
Port Path 2 

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Composite Device 
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31 
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0 
Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_07A9 
Port Path 3 

CPU Utilisation:Processor utilisation is high
The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
Average Utilisation (%) 42.03 

Warnings
Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6 ms (15625000 ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100 ns units) 10007 
Maximum Timer Period (100 ns units) 156250 

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period 10000 
Requesting Process ID 3392 
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE 

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds) 1200 

CPU Utilisation:Individual process with significant processor utilisation.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilisation recorded during the trace.
Process Name System 
PID 4 
Average Utilisation (%) 21.44 
Module  Average Module Utilisation (%)  
\SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll 8.04 
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ACPI.sys 7.12 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 5.80 

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilisation recorded during the trace.
Process Name explorer.exe 
PID 2244 
Average Utilisation (%) 3.73 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 1.45 
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.96 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.21 

Process Name iexplore.exe 
PID 7208 
Average Utilisation (%) 2.42 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll 0.57 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.30 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx 0.27 

Process Name csrss.exe 
PID 3768 
Average Utilisation (%) 1.96 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 1.24 
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.56 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\winsrv.dll 0.03 

Process Name dwm.exe 
PID 9024 
Average Utilisation (%) 1.42 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.31 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.30 
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.13 

Process Name ISD_Tablet.exe 
PID 6824 
Average Utilisation (%) 0.52 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\Tablet\ISD\ISD_Tablet.exe 0.20 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.13 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.05 

Process Name taskhostex.exe 
PID 6332 
Average Utilisation (%) 0.44 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.14 
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\WRkrn.sys 0.09 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\esent.dll 0.08 

Process Name WRSA.exe 
PID 904 
Average Utilisation (%) 0.36 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.16 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe 0.04 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.03 

Process Name OUTLOOK.EXE 
PID 3392 
Average Utilisation (%) 0.29 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.09 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE15\MSO.DLL 0.03 
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.03 

Process Name lync.exe 
PID 3892 
Average Utilisation (%) 0.24 
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.07 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE15\MSO.DLL 0.04 
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.02

I want to add that before the last firmware update, this was never issue with the power settings i had in place.

Thanks!

MrTPN

shazada

I had almost the same. After the upgrade I charged the Surface, then pressed the button to turn off the screen. And that evening it was empty.

I then started it and restarted it and charged it, now it seems ok.

shazada

Sorry to confuse everyone. After work I checked the surface and it was empty again, so there is deff something wrong.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

CreativeLemming

Sorry to confuse everyone. After work I checked the surface and it was empty again, so there is deff something wrong.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Same here - battery always almost flat after leaving it overnight. Putting it down to the notorious update as I haven't had the machine long enough to judge as to whether it was fine before. Roll on patch day...

Dayton

This is due to the December firmware, trick is to use hibernate instead of sleep as a temporary fix. So change lid closed and power button from sleep to hibernate in the power options and put the SP2 in hibernate when not in use. If the SP2 does wake from sleep and the battery indicator is wrong, do a hardware reset by holding down the power button and volume + after shutdown.

gman713

Thanks, I may try that! Hopefully this issue didn't cause harm to our Surface Pro 2's by sticking them in our bag and the Microsoft firmware not allowing it to sleep. I can't imagine Apple sitting on a problem like this knowing it is causing their laptops to heat up in bags.

gman713

This is due to the December firmware, trick is to use hibernate instead of sleep as a temporary fix. So change lid closed and power button from sleep to hibernate in the power options and put the SP2 in hibernate when not in use. If the SP2 does wake from sleep and the battery indicator is wrong, do a hardware reset by holding down the power button and volume + after shutdown.

Yep, that did the trick! The system went into hibernate mode instead of staying on with the cover closed! Thanks!

Zkyevolved

I can't wait for the next update because this is a total fail... They need to release an update soon because some of us depend on the long battery life.... :-( I love the surface pro 2 regardless it's a fantastic device

Update: I only had ONE day where the battery drained. Ever since, I've been using it with normal use and the SD card installed and everything is good. But still, I hope an update comes out to fix any issues for everyone!

Last edited:

Dayton

Yep, that did the trick! The system went into hibernate mode instead of staying on with the cover closed! Thanks!

Glad to hear it worked for you, spread the word that until the firmware update releases to use hibernate instead of sleep to get back the great battery performance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think the first step is MS is releasing the October Hardware update again as a short term fix, I received it today.