What's new

Latest security rollup kb4530702 fails on RT

Al oha

Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with security rollup kb45030702 failing to install on the surface RT. The system just says "something went wrong" and gives "try again" option but several attempts gets me no further. Is this another "questionable" rollup similar to one that caused problems a while back?
thanks for any insight.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was it a regular update or one of the "optional" ones? I never do the optional preview updates or whatever they call them.

OP
A

Al oha

its an "important" security monthly roll up. In my "travels", it appears that I haven't been able to readily find the "arm" version which leads me to believe that it might be marked in error as being applicable or MS has not completed its "makeup" for the RT.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
its an "important" security monthly roll up. In my "travels", it appears that I haven't been able to readily find the "arm" version which leads me to believe that it might be marked in error as being applicable or MS has not completed its "makeup" for the RT.
I see that update on my RT ... KB4530702

Title is: 2019-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows RT 8.1 for ARM-based Systems (KB4530702)

I'll try to install it...

Update: It installed successfully on my RT.
kb4530702.PNG

Last edited:
OP
A

Al oha

Thanks for the update work and its success. I guess I need to dig deeper into the failure. Other updates worked before and after this one so something underlying this one on my unit is tripping it up. :-(

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try the Update Troubleshooter?

Open the Control Panel, then search for “Troubleshooting" or simply search for the latter via Cortana.

Click on “Fix Problems with Windows Update" under the System and Security section at the bottom of the results.

OP
A

Al oha

yep... tried that a couple of times. It indicated that it fixed two problems but the result was the same. Tried updater this morning. It indicated that it found some updates but details showed only the kb4530702 important one which then failed to install. :-( I will look to see what the troubleshooter finds and try again. Thanks

update: it appears there is some sort of issue with devices on my account as when I go into the "manage my devices" .... it fails.

update: lots of weird stuff. In IE, logging in the microsoft account (my only one), the system indicates that it sees no devices... ???? what?? I have at least two other "old" devices that were attached to the account at one time... a acer tablet pc and a gateway computer (vista -> now running 8.1). So somewhere, there is some sort of database mismatch. :-(

Last edited:
OP
A

Al oha

I haven't been successful yet with the rt update. However, my gateway pc which is running 8.1 had the same important update in its list for update and it just completed successfully so at least I know that some how the process works in my household.

OP
A

Al oha

according to the computer list / view of the drives, it indicates 13.8 GB free space (its a 32GB drive / machine).
spent alot of the afternoon trying various things, still not successful. :-( looks like potentially have to do a refresh to get out of it. :-(

OP
A

Al oha

That might be the last hope before doing a full re-install. :-( I tried downloading the "troubleshooter windows 7 and windows 8" .... I know it is unlikely to work for 8.1 / arm. It ran but found a "security files missing or corrupt" which it did not fix but I suspect that perhaps it is not totally applicable. I followed some links to some "repair suggestions" based on that which stop some processes / renamed some files (software distribution something) and then restarted things. It didn't help either. A lot "helps" doesn't seem to apply to the RT stream... :) which is understandable but certainly frustrating.

The error reported during the install attempt is 80073701... the subtending help is run the dism and sfc.exe tools but they don't seem to help in any way.

Last edited: