What's new

Latest security rollup kb4530702 fails on RT

OP
A

Al oha

Store Apps update separately and it may not have happened yet.

The file versions I gave you were from KB4530702 so you should be all up to date ... Somehow...
The User32 is actually a newer version file so good there too.

I tried opening Weather and it just hangs. Is that what you get? There might be a way to reinstall it but I don't remember at the moment.
I typically use The Weather Channel though, which is working fine. Oddly this App is not available on the ProX:(

Edit: I went looking for the Weather App download but couldn't find it in the Catalog or anywhere else... not sure if it's still supported... I have had other RT apps just disappear before.
I don't understand what you are saying about kb4530702... its not in the history list that I could see so how did those module get updated?

I know there is something wacky with msn weather related to updates. even my acer tabletpc (8.1) had issues also which I corrected (can't remember how) when I had earlier issues with the RT and updating. I had come across some posts in some forum which indicated some form of RUN command sequences to check and initial the store iirc... I need to relook. I know that I had gotten it to work on the RT and then went... this should work on the ACER... sure enough it did (it hadn't worked for about a year and I was using the weather channel ... but I don't like that app and the live tile). Anyways, if you say I am up to date... I will wait for some new updates to show up and see what happens.
Thanks for your hints and guidance. I appreciate it especially for out date devices that most have moved on from.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to pretend to know how Windows Update decided to apply the updates to your machine. That it didn't take more than one day to apply six years of updates, one might guess there was some optimization applied somewhere along the way.

The MSN Weather App did finally display something for me then I got the message there is a new version of the app however, there isn't. The Weather app for RT appears to have been removed from the Store so there's probably not a standard resolution for that as it's obviously not supported anymore.

I wish Microsoft would just allow the RTs to be unlocked so you could install Android on it. If they aren't going to support it, let it go free, as in free as a bird, free as a lion.

OP
A

Al oha

now I have tripped over the "IE does not work anymore" problem... sheesh! It basically stops up at opening. This was working fine prior to the refresh. I seem to recall some discussion about this "failure". I guess I need to give this thing a "swift boot" in the ash hole... cause its behaving like an elephant. :)

Last edited:
OP
A

Al oha

the IE problem is actually weird. IF I open IE from the tile / start window, it functions normally. But if I pin it to the task bar and try to open it from there, it opens but then fails about 30 seconds or so thereafter and closes with "internet explorer has stopped working".... :-(

further look shows that its a problem with the IE browser trying to open the msn canada web page which then causes the browser to close.

OP
A

Al oha

I'm not going to pretend to know how Windows Update decided to apply the updates to your machine. That it didn't take more than one day to apply six years of updates, one might guess there was some optimization applied somewhere along the way.

The MSN Weather App did finally display something for me then I got the message there is a new version of the app however, there isn't. The Weather app for RT appears to have been removed from the Store so there's probably not a standard resolution for that as it's obviously not supported anymore.

I wish Microsoft would just allow the RTs to be unlocked so you could install Android on it. If they aren't going to support it, let it go free, as in free as a bird, free as a lion.
I was wondering if you can tell me what your update "count" is currently at.... mine shows 342 installed which seems low. I see from a search in the control panel that indeed kb4530702 was installed yesterday although I can't say I ever saw it in the list during the update process / check.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try some of these
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17441

How to repair or reinstall IE 11 Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
  1. Turn off the Internet Explorer features . To do this, follow the steps in the "Turn off Internet Explorer" section in Install or uninstall Internet Explorer. THE MS document no longer exists - How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 11 from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
  2. Restart your computer after you turn off Internet Explorer. Then, Internet Explorer will be removed from your computer.
  3. You can turn the Internet Explorer Windows feature back on to reinstall it on your computer.
Additionally, you can use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to validate the corresponding system files before you reinstall Internet Explorer.

OP
A

Al oha

As a follow up, I hadn't used the RT for while outside of powering up to let it do some updates since it does those automatically (can't turn this off). I didn't want to chance unloading IE as I was worried of going down a rat hole that I couldn't readily recover from without doing a full recovery. Somewhere along the way, IE started working at both the apps start page and at the task bar. Not sure what changed, if anything. Anyway, it is working OK now as whole. Thanks for the help.