What's new

Latest updates but still having 'nuisance' problems

I've got the i7/16GB/512GB SB which so far I am loving although I am having a bit of difficulty moving from a 15.6" laptop, but that's not going to keep me from sticking with the SB. What's of some concern is the fact I have done all the upgrades I know of and I'm still having some of the minor 'nuisance' type issues others in this forum say have been addressed by the latest updates. I am running OS v. 10586.29 and I often get the black screen flicker when I change the page I'm looking at, I sometimes get the loud 'click' which also seems to come when I change the page, most often when I'm in iTunes and I click through different screens, and I've had the error message about the display driver failing and recovering - it happened about two or three times while watching a Netflix movie and several times when I've been doing regularly work.

Of more concern is the fact one of my external USB drives would not connect to the SB at one point. I was able to connect the first drive but the second one wouldn't register until I disconnected it and plugged it in again. Since then both drives have been recognized fine except for one time when my primary drive would not be recognized by the SB. I plugged and unplugged it several times and shutdown the SB, all to no avail. Only when I switched the USB cables on the two drives and then plugged them back in would the SB read the primary drive. Since then no problem. And the SB has never had a problem recognizing my iPhone or iPod, so that's the only USB failure so far,

Are many other SB users still experiencing these problems with the latest updates installed?

Seneleron

That VERY MUCH sounds like a hardware issue. My i5 8GB DGPU unit exhibits NONE of those symptoms. Almost sounds like it could be a connection issue between the base and the clipboard...

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

Thanks, I have until January 15th to return it but I just finished moving over all my email, calendaring, etc. to my SB. I would hate to return it but I don't know ... I'm in iTunes right now and every time I switch to a different window I get that loud kind of mechanic click sound.

JBCF

I get the same sound moving around in iTunes. Very different from the popping sound I used to get from Edge. The iTunes one sounds to my ear like a cash register drawer opening so I actually just assumed it was a normal Apple sound effect ;)

Seneleron

but I just finished moving over all my email, calendaring, etc. to my SB.

You know it's funny, I setup the whole MS account thing, so MOST of my stuff gets sync'd over [except email accounts, no clue why]
Even so, Lately I've been ITCHING because I bought the i5 instead of the i7, and even while I *KNOW* intellectually i'm not going to see any kind of real world performance difference for my use case [with the exception of the odd handbrake transcode, but it's not gonna shave off 10+ minutes]

The *ONLY* thing stopping me from doing it. . . is having to re-setup the [expletive deleted] thing!

(Well, aside from the fact that I can't justify the $200 price increase for an almost negligible performance increase... Unless someone knows something I don't?)

JBCF

Hey Seneleron, I bought an i5 because it's also the most sensible use case for me, my computing needs are covered perfectly adequately by the i5 - mostly Dreamweaver, light Photoshopping and MS Office work and I travel a lot so I expect my systems to have a two year lifecycle max (after which, if they survive, they get handed down to one of the stepkids) but I get the same "could have had a v8, er, make that an i7" itch too. I've spent decades training myself away from buying the top of the line just because it exists but with the SB I really have the urge to see what this system can do in a full throttle configuration...

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

Woh, this is strange. When I first set up my Surface Book I saw the 12/2 update listed and I assumed it was installed as part of my setup. Since then I've gone to the Windows updates page plenty of times and hit the Update button, but this morning the 12/2 update was still showing up as an uninstalled update. This time I did the restart and when I restarted the 12/2 update now lists in my update history as being installed today. Hopefully the nuisance issues will go away - I'll let everyone know.