What's new

Lawyer sues Microsoft over Surface disk space

leeshor

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California lawyer is suing Microsoft, claiming the Surface tablet he bought doesn't have all the storage space the company advertised.

Andrew Sokolowski says he bought a Surface with 32 gigabytes of storage last week. But he quickly ran out of space after loading it with music and Microsoft Word documents.

He discovered that half of the 32GB storage space was being used by the operating system and pre-installed apps.

Sokolowski filed the suit Tuesday at the Superior Court in Los Angeles. He is seeking class action status.

Microsoft says on its website that the 32GB Surface has 16GB of free space while the 64GB version has 45GB free.

Microsoft didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Lawyer sues Microsoft over Surface disk space

Thats why i bought a micro-sd in the first place, but I have to say, that a 64GB-version is the better option for app-heavy-users.

fosking

These sorts of people make me sick. He clearly knew this before he bought a Surface. Not only did he not use one of the two options of either using an SD card or even better for him taking it back. He decides to sue. He won't get anything except a red face walking out the court empty handed.

J515OP

Super Moderator
This will go nowhere since it is totally standard to advertise the drive space this way. Besides that is the actual size of the drive available. If the user wants to get all of that space they can simply remove the OS and then fill it up entirely with apps which won't run because there is no OS. I guess some people like being useless.
:wink:

OP
leeshor

leeshor

Thats why i bought a micro-sd in the first place, but I have to say, that a 64GB-version is the better option for app-heavy-users.

I see the same thing but worse with Surface Pro. Microsoft is doing everything they can to entice (force) people to utilize the "cloud" for all their data. In the real world, especially when you're mobile, it may not be all that easy.

I agree with JP that it's probably a dead end suit, but that's the society we're in too.

Last edited: