What's new

Leap Motion releases video of Windows 8 using Leap and...

mitchellvii

...it is COOL. Yes, I will be getting this and YES, Leap Motion could be the thing that saves Windows 8.

Can you imagine anyone with a legacy monitor being able to do THIS with an $80 device? The world just went "touch" on the cheap.

[video=youtube;21LtA5-wiwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=21LtA5-wiwU[/video]

Just wait 'till they start building this into laptops...

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Here is a little more of the nuts and bolts.

[video=youtube;TMqBLqzsZZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqBLqzsZZU[/video]

tonyz3

So all this time i been wondering how you guys do it. it is like you guys are in the same room posting and discussing these things together. wait i got it.

conjoined_twins_604135.jpg

DOS

First time I've seen this work with Windows 8... nice.

I wonder what's holding them up. If it works this well, why not release it today? For $80, I would get one.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

First time I've seen this work with Windows 8... nice.

I wonder what's holding them up. If it works this well, why not release it today? For $80, I would get one.

The hardware is done. I am guessing they are trying to get all the drivers right so they have a successful launch. Better to take it slow as initial word of mouth will either make or break this device.

That's the brilliant thing about the price. $80 is well below most people's pain threshold for such a thing compared to $600 for a new touch monitor.

DOS

The hardware is done. I am guessing they are trying to get all the drivers right so they have a successful launch. Better to take it slow as initial word of mouth will either make or break this device.

That's the brilliant thing about the price. $80 is well below most people's pain threshold for such a thing compared to $600 for a new touch monitor.

Absolutely. With a Windows 8 upgrade and this device, you could turn your old PC into a pseudo touch system.

If this does what is says regarding Windows 8, Microsoft should jump all over this to help promote...

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Absolutely. With a Windows 8 upgrade and this device, you could turn your old PC into a pseudo touch system.

If this does what is says regarding Windows 8, Microsoft should jump all over this to help promote...

Yep, I do wonder how this will work with multi-monitor setups as many business people have those. That could be problematic on a spatial basis. You could not gesture above anything but the primary monitor. Maybe that's it. It works on the primary monitor only. We'll see. Interesting challenge.

For instance, if I have my SP extended to a large monitor and I set the large monitor as my primary, would this allow that monitor to be "touch" with the Leap while I continue to use tactile touch on the SP?

DOS

I've had mine on order, (pre order) for over a year. STILL waiting.

Wow, over a year? Well, I do agree with Mitch that a "bugfree launch is essential"... but I guess I won't bother pre-ordering. If it does become a reality, even at $100 it appears it would be worth it.

Arizona Willie

I cancelled my pre-orders because of missed shipping dates and broken promises for videos that never happened.

Don't believe I saw them use Windows Explorer or use any File menus in this video. Basically they were just switching the screens using it as a substitute for Touch.
While that is all well and good if it won't completely replace the mouse it will never fly, except perhaps as a game peripheral.

I had high hopes when I placed my orders the day I saw an announcement of it last year.
I hope they do pull it off ... but have many reservations due to their broken promises and missed shipping dates ( 3 times ).
First they said last fall, then in May and then shoved it back again.

I considered that they put the programming out for volunteer ( wannabe ) programmers and they have had problems it seems, to put it charitably.

I think if some company like one of the gaming companies or Microsoft had it, they have enough really talented programmers that they could pull it off.
I have my doubts about it with these folks. I hope it works.