What's new

Learn to Create Apps?

dniezby

Where does one go to learn how to write apps for Windows phone / surface?

I have a list of apps I'd like to develop but I can't seem to find a reliable place to learn how to write them.

goodintentions

First, download visual studio express.

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

Make sure you pick the one for windows store 8.1.

Then start following these instructions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh986965.aspx

That's it.

What language do you know? If you don't have a language yet, I highly recommend you start learning C#. I used to be a C++ programmer. I also know java, fortran, and python. Took me exactly 1 night to learn C#. I think C# & XAML combo is the best thing since sliced bread. Extremely easy to learn.

Simply put, XAML allows you to create contents and objects visually. When you want those contents and objects to do things, then you program them to do things in C# (or visual basic, C++, or javascript).

The first thing you need to do is try to understand to think in the language. Computers don't think like people. There is no shortcut. When you want the computer to do something, you have to give it instructions in detail.

I'm at a point where I can run the code logic through my head to debug my program while I drive to and from work.

Wish you the best of luck. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How
First, download visual studio express.

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

Make sure you pick the one for windows store 8.1.

Then start following these instructions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh986965.aspx

That's it.

What language do you know? If you don't have a language yet, I highly recommend you start learning C#. I used to be a C++ programmer. I also know java, fortran, and python. Took me exactly 1 night to learn C#. I think C# & XAML combo is the best thing since sliced bread. Extremely easy to learn.

Simply put, XAML allows you to create contents and objects visually. When you want those contents and objects to do things, then you program them to do things in C# (or visual basic, C++, or javascript).

The first thing you need to do is try to understand to think in the language. Computers don't think like people. There is no shortcut. When you want the computer to do something, you have to give it instructions in detail.

I'm at a point where I can run the code logic through my head to debug my program while I drive to and from work.

Wish you the best of luck. :)
How would you compare VS Express to Pro?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would start by going to the Microsoft Virtual Academy and install Visual Studio Express.

You can also explore Project Sienna in the Store.

goodintentions

How

How would you compare VS Express to Pro?
You absolutely do not need the pro version. To put things in perspective, my Modern Word Processor is written and compiled entirely with express.

I'm entirely aware that there are professional programmers on here who will disagree with me... the same way that some people think any screen resolution less than the so-called retina display is crap.

Just take my word for it. You do not need to spend the money on the pro version. While programming my app, I've only run into problem with the express version twice that I needed the pro version. Instead of buying the pro version, I simply changed my programming technique to go around the limitations of express.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

Would it be okay to install on my SP3 or is it something I should install on my old lap top?

OR

Is it something I can install on a flashdrive and run it from there on my SP3?

I have the i5 256gb SP3

goodintentions

Would it be okay to install on my SP3 or is it something I should install on my old lap top?

OR

Is it something I can install on a flashdrive and run it from there on my SP3?

I have the i5 256gb SP3
Install it on your SP3. I've been drooling to get an SP3 to run visual studio 2013. But between my morgage, putting my b/f through school, student loan debt, etc., I can't justify getting it now. So, still using a piece of crap toshiba laptop from 2009. My laptop only has 100gb of drive space. VS uses like 2-3gb, so you're fine. If my piece of crap toshiba from 2009 with 100gb disk space can run visual studio express, then your SP3 should have no problem at all.

Note: my Modern Word Processor app is written 100% by a 2009 toshiba laptop that's falling apart running visual studio express. You'll be fine.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

Thank you everyone. Man; I REALLY love this forum. Everyone is so responsive and respectful. LOL, don't get that on IOS forums. They don't want you to know how to code.

Why anyone still codes for them is beyond me. A 5 second market share report would show that Windows market is larger than Apple and Android combined.

We need to develop some exclusive apps or something. Let people know, sorry... Don't get it if you're with [clear your throat] them. LOL.

---

I'm going to go through both courses of action. Going to take the classes (since they're free) and go through the tutorials.

I have been out of coding for years. Did mostly web coding, HTML, PHP but very little else. I do pick things up fast though. So, if C# and XAML are and easy to learn as you say, I will be up and running soon.

Thanks again everyone.

Wayne Orwig

So, still using a piece of crap toshiba laptop from 2009. My laptop only has 100gb of drive space. VS uses like 2-3gb, so you're fine. If my piece of crap toshiba from 2009 with 100gb disk space can run visual studio express, then your SP3 should have no problem at all.

[threaddrift]
I just recently installed a 256GB SSD drive in my antique laptop and upgraded it to Win 8.1.
The 256gb SSD drive was only $100, and I bought Win 8.1 last year for about $40 (I think it was).
The SSD was a great speed improvement.
[/threaddrift]

Reid

If you're going try the video tutorials I definitely recommend checking out some of Bob Tabors videos on Channel 9. I also came across a really helpful book that delves more into the theory of objected oriented programming called "The Object-oriented thought process". That coupled with the videos on Channel 9 got me up to speed and making some really cool stuff pretty quickly while also feeling like I have a firm grip on what exactly I'm doing.

Not trying to promote anything here but this approach worked (is working) really well for me.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

If you're going try the video tutorials I definitely recommend checking out some of Bob Tabors videos on Channel 9. I also came across a really helpful book that delves more into the theory of objected oriented programming called "The Object-oriented thought process". That coupled with the videos on Channel 9 got me up to speed and making some really cool stuff pretty quickly while also feeling like I have a firm grip on what exactly I'm doing.

Not trying to promote anything here but this approach worked (is working) really well for me.

The Microsoft Virtual Academy uses Bob's videos. I've just begun watching them.

Thanks for the book recommendation too. Been looking for that too.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

Do I have to download the Emulators or anything else to get learning?

I just downloaded Visual Studio for Windows.