What's new

Left touchpad stopped working - cannot click

Lesley B

All of a sudden I cannot use the left mouse click on the touchpad. It's not a software issue but an issue with the button on the touchpad itself as the button cannot be depressed and doesn't make the same audible click as before. I've lost all left click functionality.

Has anyone had this specific issue and been able to resolve?
Apart from using a mouse instead, what are any suggested ways to get my left mouse click back?

Many thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There is a wild possibility that some debris/adhesive/dust got in the mechanism, and turning the Surface 2 would dislodge it.

You could configure “taps” on your touchpad to make due.

OP
L

Lesley B

I thought so too but all my efforts to dislodge something haven't worked. Both sides are now the same and the left/right "buttons" are staying depressed. I can't use the touchpad effectively at all now and must use a mouse which means the purpose of the portable/work anywhere laptop is lost.

Can the type covers be replaced and would that resolve it?
Do I need to send it for a service?

Microsoft Service has not answered any of my service tickets for weeks now

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The type cover cannot be replaced. But you can use virtually any Bluetooth keyboard.

It sounds like there may have been some moisture - maybe some sticky drink, got into the keyboard. Some people have found that heat (like direct sunlight on the type cover, perhaps while in a car), or a very dry atmosphere (cold) for the type cover can do it some good, and unstick it. Some kind of wrap around the screen to protect the main unit would be advisable if you try any of these crazy fixes.

OP
L

Lesley B

I understand I can use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard however this is not practical when I'm a mobile worker and need the flexibility that a laptop provides, especially when there is no space or area for different equipment. I bought the laptop for this reason.

There has never been moisture or anything "sticky" near or on the typecover or touchpad so unfortunately that cause is not relevant in this case.

I don't think it wise to try and heat a laptop up or try a "crazy fix". This laptop is where I run my business from and if it is irreversibly damaged then I'll be out of business and need to pay a lot of money to replace it.

I'm frustrated that the Microsoft Service Desk are not providing support!

OP
L

Lesley B

thank you for the suggestions, I had seen them but am nervous to do any home repairs myself (being completely not IT-skilled) and ruining my only laptop, appreciate you taking the time to post