What's new

Lemon Law Refund

minhestrone

Ok, how do I begin... I have had the $2699 Surface Book since Day 1. Since then, I have gone back to the MS Store for exchanges due to sleep/short battery life issues (6 hrs -> half of the 12 hrs promised). I am now on my 4th unit; and still, after all the updates thus far, nothing power-related has changed. Yet, the guys at the store keep saying that I shouldn't have these problems, as if they weren't normal.

Now, I stopped believing that I was just unlucky in receiving bad units, and convinced that the product is inherently flawed. It saddens to say it.

I'm well past my time frame for a refund, but a quick Google search tells me that California's Lemon Law extends beyond autos to virtually every product.

Should I go back and ask for a refund?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK, responses on another forum indicate that's not how this law works.

Advertised battery life is under very specific conditions and YMMV (your mileage may vary) depending on your actual usage. The store could help you determine what's using the most power and if there were alternatives.

Ok, how do I begin... I have had the $2699 Surface Book since Day 1. Since then, I have gone back to the MS Store for exchanges due to sleep/short battery life issues (6 hrs -> half of the 12 hrs promised). I am now on my 4th unit; and still, after all the updates thus far, nothing power-related has changed. Yet, the guys at the store keep saying that I shouldn't have these problems, as if they weren't normal.

Now, I stopped believing that I was just unlucky in receiving bad units, and convinced that the product is inherently flawed. It saddens to say it.

I'm well past my time frame for a refund, but a quick Google search tells me that California's Lemon Law extends beyond autos to virtually every product.

Should I go back and ask for a refund?

Yes, why not?

One thing you MAY want to ask about is, if they can refund the difference and provide a SP4. I went from a SB to a SP4 due to the instability. I had the luck of XMAS time, return window, extensions at BestBuy to get out of the situation. I have had the SP4 for over a month and though not perfect, very stable.

Microsoft also has an escalation team that you might want to get involved. In My Humble Opinion the STORE in Virginia is underwhelming on most things, but I have heard that the managers do have great power to make things right.

Seneleron

I'm going to try to be as tactful as I can here. It's impossible at this point to determine if there's anything difinitively wrong with your SB. I have no idea what the user has intentionally/ unintentionally installed on the unit that may be loading the CPU, no idea what programs are regularly being used, what the brightness is set at. Providing you've verified you've got the latest updates, driver/software/firmware problems are unlikely.

I can [probably] kill my whole battery in an hour running Diablo 3 unplugged, but it doesn't make the unit defective. Those battery estimates are made with these things running the absolute BARE MINIMUM to keep them the machine technically operational. 9-10 hours is more realistic, and if you turn the screen up past 50% [which would be "recommended" or higher] and/or you're actually USING it. . . 6 hours really isn't unrealistic.

More information would be helpful.