What's new

Lenovo exec: there's no longer a need for Windows RT

Spaniard

Lenovo exec: there's no longer a need for Windows RT

We're at Lenovo's 2013 press conference, and during the Q&A session, the company's executives offered a hint as to their lack of plans for Windows RT devices. When quizzed on Microsoft's moribund operating system, Australian marketing chief Nick Reynolds said that Intel's Haswell has eliminated the choice between long battery life and good performance. Since, consequently, users can run full-fat Windows 8 and get a full day of use from a single charge, there's not much call for a low-power version. To us, at least, it seems like it's not too far away from them saying that we won't see a follow-up to last year's RT-running Yoga 11, but we'll check with our Magic 8 ball just to be sure.

pallentx

The assumption here is that everyone wants full, fat Windows 8 on a touchscreen tablet. There is some need for it now as software is still coming in, but that could change dramatically. Also, there's the issue of cost. Will a Haswell device sell at $350? I believe this is Lenovo's way of recognizing that they cant, or are unwilling to try to compete with Microsoft on RT hardware.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Lenovo doesn't want to cut into their fledgling Android ARM devices also RT doesn't allow for the Crapware the OEMs like to throw on devices, also x86 (Haswell or Atom) will always suffer from its so called advantage, backwards compatibility, user will install software and/or drivers that will prevent S0iX from functioning correctly negating the gains in battery efficiency.

Of course Intel has struggled with drivers and early reports is the Bay Trail suffers from this as well....

Quote from the Verge previewing the first Bay Trail Device:

"While Bay Trail promises better performance for Atom processors, on the model I got to use the device was less than usable. Toshiba assures me that the unit isn't final and that driver optimizations and even slight hardware tweaks will be made before it ships. It certainly needs these as the usual speed of Windows 8 animations was noticeably slow. It was hard to tell whether this was down to the Bay Trail CPU or the GPU, but I suspect the lack of optimized graphics drivers was to blame."

Toshiba's 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet is another weak attempt to match the iPad mini | The Verge

beman39

holy crap you can always tell who the apple fanboys are, I know you wanna give an article about Toshiba's new devices but for the luv of gawd stop going on about apple this and apple that, I just wanna know about the device! I am in no way interested in the ipad! :disappointed:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
holy crap you can always tell who the apple fanboys are, I know you wanna give an article about Toshiba's new devices but for the luv of gawd stop going on about apple this and apple that, I just wanna know about the device! I am in no way interested in the ipad! :disappointed:

The Verge is always going to be pro Apple (they're Hippster Journalist ;) ). But in no way can I be accused of being an Apple Fanboy (I refuse to own anything from them), my point is Intel is still struggling with their Atom Drivers...