What's new

Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (Core M) performance tests reveal throttling, fan noise!

Sven

So it would appear that the Broadwell Core M 5Y70 (highest performing part number) is a step backwards and still needs a fan. Even then, there is significant throttling making the Yoga 3 Pro perform worse than it's previous siblings.

In this test - the SP3 i5 outperforms it by around 50%.

So it would appear, Intel / Lenovo or both have some problems on their hands. So much for not needing a fan ... I'm actually quite disappointed if we waited this long for a "low average" TDP part number that was supposedly set to offer Haswell Core i5 U series performance in a fanless design.

http://ultrabooknews.com/2014/10/16...erformance-tests-reveal-throttling-fan-noise/

leeshor

Personally I'm not at all surprised. In such a confined space the processor doesn't get much circulating air without a fan. If the case was larger with plenty of vents, that's another story.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first horse out of the gate is not always the best... But before you damn the thing look at what it was measured against. ok, peeps got to love this, top was an i5 Surface Pro 3 BUT 5 of the next 7 devices were running i7 chips. Seriously stacking the deck to make it look bad, come on compare it to something similar.

OP
S

Sven

The first horse out of the gate is not always the best... But before you damn the thing look at what it was measured against. ok, peeps got to love this, top was an i5 Surface Pro 3 BUT 5 of the next 7 devices were running i7 chips. Seriously stacking the deck to make it look bad, come on compare it to something similar.

You are aware that the Haswell i7 Y series is a dual core part, ultra low voltage and compares with and is bested by, in most cases, the Haswell i5 U series in the Surface Pro 3 ?

Hardly an unfair comparison. In fact, very similar including TDP output.

In Intel's recent launch of Core M Broadwell at IFA 2014, they showed it performing exceptionally well in a fanless tablet reference design, with a considerably thinner case than the SP3, running the 5Y70 part number and showing benchmarks that bested or matched the core i5 Haswell ?

Something doesn't add up, either Intel is not playing open cards, or the OEM is getting the design all wrong. I stand by my original thoughts ... disappointing, but yes, still early on in the game.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are aware that the Haswell i7 Y series is a dual core part, ultra low voltage and compares with and is bested by, in most cases, the Haswell i5 U series in the Surface Pro 3 ?

Hardly an unfair comparison. In fact, very similar including TDP output.

In Intel's recent launch of Core M Broadwell at IFA 2014, they showed it performing exceptionally well in a fanless tablet reference design, with a considerably thinner case than the SP3, running the 5Y70 part number and showing benchmarks that bested or matched the core i5 Haswell ?

Something doesn't add up, either Intel is not playing open cards, or the OEM is getting the design all wrong. I stand by my original thoughts ... disappointing, but yes, still early on in the game.
I will admit that the reference design was a bit of a ringer :) with its heat sink backpanel but it was fanless. However we cant say anything about the efficiency of this fan for sure, it seems not so good
Nor do we know the target TDP of this device. Agree, the result is disappointing such that it is; yet it's only one preliminary benchmark number.

Vendors might not equal Intel's reference tablet with fanless designs but id think with a proper fan should be able to move much more heat.

megatronium

I called this a few months back. Now the people waiting for SP4, can continue to wait for SP7. OR Microsoft will include fan for SP4 w/Broadwell.

norir82

I called this a few months back. Now the people waiting for SP4, can continue to wait for SP7. OR Microsoft will include fan for SP4 w/Broadwell.

I think the plan has always been to include Broadwell with a fan in the next SP4. It's a Professional work tablet and needs a fan to run at full strength. Microsoft has already said the SP3 Dock will work with the SP4 which means it'll likely be the exact same dimensions as the SP3. It'll possibly be lighter with better internals and little to no throttling I'm hoping.

bluegrass

I am only interested in increased performance for my next Surface. Since I have never heard my SP3 fan, even one time, I could care less whether the next Surface has a fan or not since they are so quiet.

megatronium

I think the plan has always been to include Broadwell with a fan in the next SP4. It's a Professional work tablet and needs a fan to run at full strength. Microsoft has already said the SP3 Dock will work with the SP4 which means it'll likely be the exact same dimensions as the SP3. It'll possibly be lighter with better internals and little to no throttling I'm hoping.

Most of the posts I've read refer to the mythical fanless SP4. If it includes one, great.

Liam2349

Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro Issues summary
  • Time will tell if the hinge is strong enough.
  • Hi-DPI screen not supported by some desktop apps.
  • High entry-level price.
  • Performance less than Yoga 2 Pro
  • No function key row.
  • Not fanless.

Wait, what?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of the posts I've read refer to the mythical fanless SP4. If it includes one, great.
Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro Issues summary
  • Time will tell if the hinge is strong enough.
  • Hi-DPI screen not supported by some desktop apps.
  • High entry-level price.
  • Performance less than Yoga 2 Pro
  • No function key row.
  • Not fanless.

Wait, what?
Another Red Flag... over 800 parts in the hinge. :eek: