What's new

Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (Core M) performance tests reveal throttling, fan noise!

InspectHerGadget

It could be the heat sink construction. The Surface and MBA machines have thick alloy cases which act as heat sinks. The Yoga is just thin metal I think.

nipponham

Interesting review. I agree, it’s still way too early to make anything of this but it’s definitely not the start Lenovo or the Core M was looking for.

Before I purchased my SP3, Yoga Pro 2 (and its successor) were both on my final list of candidates. I went with SP3 because it surpassed YP2 in all aspects, except the keyboard. I might have went with YP3, but I could not wait because I had to replace my laptop for work. I did wonder what I would miss out by not waiting for Broadwell, not only in terms of performance but with regards to weight and portability as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see that while YP3 is thinner by 1.4mm, SP3 is still lighter even with the type cover included in both cases.

Kif

I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but sometime to pays to buy established technology. Haswell is a very well known entity.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but sometime to pays to buy established technology. Haswell is a very well known entity.
I'm trying to fathom how Lenovo messed up a fan implementation so bad...
a. blocked the air channel with components?
b. used a 12v fan in a 5v circuit?
c. Fan only has 1 blade?

Might have to go with all of the above here. :rolleyes:

InspectHerGadget

It isn't a surprise, surely that the Broadwell M ultra low power chip is not quite as quick. It uses 1/3 the power of the Surface but isn't far behind in performance, somewhere between the i3 and i5. It is a pretty good effort but obviously the Yoga Pro 3 isn't being aimed at Power Users.

Power isn't everything but it can be important. I have the i7 SP3 and I wouldn't want to do with less power because of one power hungry MYOB Accounting program.

Mind you I guess I'm pleased it doesn't perform too close to the i5 Surface, it would seem very unfair if it could match or exceed the SP3 performance while consuming 1/3 the power...:)

raqball

I picked up the Yoga 3 Pro to replace my SP3. I had a lot of QC issues with the SP3 and have been on the lookout for the Yoga.

It's a very nice computer. It does a have a few issues although I consider them minor. Scrolling with the trackpad is jittery and not smooth. I assume a driver update can fix this. It's a trackpad issue as touch screen scolling is smooth.

In comparison to my SP3's it's better in some areas and worse in others. My SP3 was the i5 / 8 / 256 version so this is pretty comparable spec wise, sans the processor.

I've not noticed any real issues with my home based usage re: the processor. It does have a fan but I've never heard it and the Yoga 3 has never even gotten slightly warm.

I have a few days left to decide if I will be keeping it. If not, I may go to the MS store and look at another SP3. I loved the Sp3 but man o man does MS have a QC issue on their hands.

QC on the Yoga is awesome as I've had zero issues in that regard with the machine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Start the I'm waiting for Skylake comments here. =>
No need to wait for Skylake if your looking to buy in 2015. It appears release timing will be adjusted (delayed) on Skylake till late Q3 or early Q4 2015 so systems with Skylake wont appear until 2016.

Broadwell 5Y71's are currently the top dog in Core-Mville. but maybe there will be 5Y72 or 5Y8x/5Y9x chips to up the Core-M performance.