What's new

Let's talk about the hinge

Icemango

Why would you return the surface pro 3 over a clicking noise in the hinge? There are far worse issues a sp3 could have...

cdf3

Why would you return the surface pro 3 over a clicking noise in the hinge? There are far worse issues a sp3 could have...
I wanted to get feedback in order to see who else is experiencing the same issue. If it's pretty common, then I will get over it.
If not, then I could possibly have a faulty hinge. It wouldn't cost me anything at the moment, because I'm within my return period. After that I would have to rely on my warranty. If Microsoft tries to label it as a hardware defect, then they won't honor it with the standard warranty. I would then have to use the warranty I purchased from them or from a third party. If that is the case, then I would end up paying a deductible for something I could have remedied for free.

cdf3

The silver part of the hinges on my Surface Pro 3 do not look the same on both sides.
Can someone confirm if the silver part of the hinge looks the same on both sides on your device. Mine does not.
uploadfromtaptalk1406000258067.jpg

cdf3

Mine look just like yours, don't worry.

Ok. Thanks for checking.
If I extend my kickstand all the way out, it will make a clicking sound while bringing the kickstand back in. I'll hear a single click as I pass a certain angle. It never made that sound when I first got it, but it's making it all the time now. Are you hearing any type of clicking sound on yours?

ipaq_101

Ok. Thanks for checking.
If I extend my kickstand all the way out, it will make a clicking sound while bringing the kickstand back in. I'll hear a single click as I pass a certain angle. It never made that sound when I first got it, but it's making it all the time now. Are you hearing any type of clicking sound on yours?

No sound, the only sound I hear is when it snaps shut.

be77solo

I get some clicks on mine here and there depending on which side I move it with, but I'm not worried about them... everything still moves smoothly.

cdf3

I get some clicks on mine here and there depending on which side I move it with, but I'm not worried about them... everything still moves smoothly.

After trying your suggestion, that seems to work for now.
I always get a rather loud clicking sound on the left hinge as I start to close the kickstand.
I always use both hands to evenly move my kickstand to different positions.
This time I used only the right side, with my right hand to open and close the kickstand.
By not putting any type of pressure on the left side where the clicking sound normally is, I didn't hear it. Wonder how long I can keep opening and closing it from one side?
Will it eventually throw it out of alignment, or cause the kickstand to warp like some have reported?
I also tired opening and closing it by putting my hand near the Surface logo. It still clicked some, but not as loud.

cdf3

Can anyone confirm if the hinges on their Surface Pro 3 begin to make a slight clicking noise when the kickstand is moved to certain positions? Especially those that have owned their SP3 for several weeks for more.
Mine will make a clicking noise when I move the kickstand to a particular angle. All other angles are fine.
I noticed 3 out of 4 demo units had the same clicking noise as mine. I'm not sure if the one that had the clicking noise was one that was used more than the others.
Not sure if the clicking sound comes after the SP3 has been broken in and used for quite some time.
If so I'll be ok with mine. If others have owned their SP3 for over a month and have no such issues, then I'm thinking I may have a defective unit.