What's new

Solved Limited resolution on external monitor

TomH

Hi all,

I have the Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8G) connected to my Samsung LU28D590DS 4K monitor. For some reason the highest resolution I can select on the external monitor is 1920x1080 (even though it should support 3840x2160).

I have:
- installed the "big" firmware update released yesterday,
- installed the latest monitor drivers,
- tested it on several other monitors and the maximum res I can get is still 1920x1080.

Am I missing anything, and is anyone else having the same problem??

Cheers
Tom

Rami3073

I'm having the same problem. Connecting my Pro 4 to a BenQ 2560x1440 max resolution external monitor and only maxes out at 1920x1080. Took it to the retailer where I bought the device from to test it out on their monitors in store and problem still remains. Tried everything. Different cables and adapters. My previous Pro 3 worked flawlessly. Driver issue?

OP
T

TomH

So I solved this... but it was a weird fix.

I tried updating various drivers (monitor & display card), a variety of different cables & adapters, etc, but nothing was working. So I connected to a different external monitor, with a different cable & I could finally increase my resolution on the external beyond 1920*1080... Then I used that adapter (display port -> HDMI) on my normal monitor, and could now increase the resolution on my normal monitor! Win!

Clearly a cable issue you might say! But, when I reinstated my original adapter (official MSFT SP3 adapter btw) it maintained the ability to display the increased resolution.... what?

So end result, I used a different adapter to increase res on a different monitor, used that adapter in then increase res on my normal monitor, reinstated original adapter and now happily displaying @ 3840*2160... Good luck to others!

Rami3073

Good to hear that you found yourself a solution TomH! If I must say having to find the right adapter and cable is one tedious task! Regardless, glad to hear it worked. After days of trying to locate the reason for the device not outputing higher than 1080p on my external monitor I finally have it working. However, not by changing the adapter and/or cable. I've contacted Microsoft several times this week to have this resolved and one of the technicians I spoke to gave me a proper explanation, which I dreaded to hear it being the case. Turns out the Pro 4 itself can only drive 1920x1080 as the maximum to a monitor or tv and explained that the Surface Dock is needed to output higher resolution. I really didn't want to shell out $300 AUD to buy the dock, but I did...and return it if it didn't work. It definitely did work. I just can't believe the people at Microsoft haven't explained it at first contact.

OP
T

TomH

Turns out the Pro 4 itself can only drive 1920x1080 as the maximum to a monitor or tv and explained that the Surface Dock is needed to output higher resolution.
That sounds like bogus advice to me... If it can't output above 1920*1080 directly, then there's no way a hub would accelerate that?

Mine is currently outputting @ 3840*2160 (although I did have to go through the same process described above again when I reconnected this morning).

I suspect there is a driver issue that will be fixed at some point!

Glad to hear you got a fix though.

Rami3073

I certainly reckon it's bogus too. I wasn't happy about the fact I had to purchase the dock to solve my problem, which I consider an expensive accessory. Not to mention my previous Surface Pro 3 could scaled to ultra HD resolution directly. But the more I think about it I'm using the same adapter and hdmi cable with the new dock and works when it didn't work when connected directly. Baffles me...

I still reckon it's a driver issue and I'd be more than willing to return the dock once, and if, it's resolved. Glad yours is working :). While mentioning the dock, a friend of mine has a UHD Samsung monitor fro last year and he's been trying to get it to display with his new Pro 4 and Surface Dock. People at Microsoft told him his monitor isn't compatible!!!! (Talk about bogus).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear that you found yourself a solution TomH! If I must say having to find the right adapter and cable is one tedious task! Regardless, glad to hear it worked. After days of trying to locate the reason for the device not outputing higher than 1080p on my external monitor I finally have it working. However, not by changing the adapter and/or cable. I've contacted Microsoft several times this week to have this resolved and one of the technicians I spoke to gave me a proper explanation, which I dreaded to hear it being the case. Turns out the Pro 4 itself can only drive 1920x1080 as the maximum to a monitor or tv and explained that the Surface Dock is needed to output higher resolution. I really didn't want to shell out $300 AUD to buy the dock, but I did...and return it if it didn't work. It definitely did work. I just can't believe the people at Microsoft haven't explained it at first contact.
They are unfortunately wrong with that information as I can drive a 4K and 2K using chaining from the SP4 prior to receiving the new dock.

Rami3073

What can I say...this is what I've been informed. I've tried different cables, displayport 1.2, hdmi 2.0, I have two mDP to hdmi adaptors and I took it to the retailer to test it on their monitors using the Microsoft displayport adaptor, still max 1080p. The sales person at the store even tried out the display units of the pro 4 with one of their UHD monitors, same thing!! I wish I was making this stuff up. I still do believe that this is a driver issue. Forking over 300 dollars for a dock as a necessity? I'm appalled.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What can I say...this is what I've been informed. I've tried different cables, displayport 1.2, hdmi 2.0, I have two mDP to hdmi adaptors and I took it to the retailer to test it on their monitors using the Microsoft displayport adaptor, still max 1080p. The sales person at the store even tried out the display units of the pro 4 with one of their UHD monitors, same thing!! I wish I was making this stuff up. I still do believe that this is a driver issue. Forking over 300 dollars for a dock as a necessity? I'm appalled.
HDMI will be limited to one 4K (@ 30Hz IIRC), you will need mDP to DP and monitors that support Daisy Chaining. HDMI is limited, you would need to use a USB to VGA/DVI or an active MST Dock like the Accell or Official Dock if you want to use mDP to HDMI.

devboi

So I am having the same issue. Tried many different cords and adapters. Took my surface pro to Best buy. with my adapter (Belkin Display to hdmi adapter with a generic HDMI cord) and they tried it on a 29inch widescreen and no dice, still max resolution of 1920. We pulled out the big guns and tried their Surface Pro 3. Worked great, any resolution you want. Something is wrong with the Pro 4. Hardware maybe or just need a driver possibly.