What's new

Limited Windows Integration - Another frustration

cauzion

What is the most significant appeal on buying a Windows Tablet ??? Well, I supposed that it should be the integration with all (or at least most of) the Windows O.S. and devices.

Once I use a Windows 7 notebook and Outlook to keep track of all my emails, calendar appointments, notes and tasks, I was so sure my Surface RT would sinchronyze with it. My old Windows Phone 6.5 smartphone allows total integration, and the new, inovative Microsoft device and O.S. don't allow it.

Well, I could solve the email think configuring my email accounts using iMap, but nothing else. No notes, no tasks or calendar integration. I need to keep my Notebook, my Windows Phone and Surface RT syncronized, but can't.

I've read so many times, before the Surface RT was on the market, about the integration of Surface RT with the Windows enrvironment. Not running Windows appications is NOT a problem for me. I can live with that and I've bought RT knowing that, but this huge limitation to integrate my Windows devices and computers is a huge frustration.

Carlos/Brazil

ArnoldC

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I can understand yor current frustration and I suggest that you look at the bright side ;)

You may be synchronizing with ActiveSync, because you mentioned that you have Windows Mobile 6.5. Windows Mobile 6.5 is not supported as a devicd by Windows RT, only Windows Phone 8 devices.

To synchronize today, we use cloud services and in Microsoft world, that is Windows Live. Here is a link on how you can do this today in Windows Phone 8 - Sync your Outlook calendar to Windows Phone

Not saying that you should upgrade your phone, but look at the CONCEPT of how synchronization is made with today's devices. I haven't configured all my devices yet, but the plan is-

Code:
Acer S3 -> Windows Live -> HTC Windows Phone 8S
                         |
                         V
                 Surface RT

R0bR

I have a Windows 7 laptop, Windows 8 laptop, Windows Phone 7.5 and my Surface RT and everything is in sync for email, calendar and notes. The only one that is more manual, or less integrated, is Windows 7. The thing is that they all don't require each other, the glue that binds everything is the MS cloud services. As long as every device can connect and get access to these services your information will be in sync. If you want to incorporate synchronizing media then you will have to be on the same Windows 8 platform across all your devices.

OP
C

cauzion

Well, I use Windows Live, but it doesn't work as expected.

I used Windows Live. It isn't working as expected or I'm misusing it. I change or add a appointment in my outlook and publish it to the web. If I open the Surface calendar, the changes are not there. The change will reflect on the Tablet Calendar if I log into hotmail/calendar, them the appointment added on my notebook outlook is shown there, then, it is shown in my Surface RT.

The notes nor the tasks are synchronized, but just contacts and the calendar (with the mentioned problem)

bosamar

My RT, WinPhone7, main Win8Pro desktop, and secondary Win8Pro desktop are all in sync with email and People. Even if I change the background on my RT it updates the desktops.

HB_xxx

My RT, WinPhone7, main Win8Pro desktop, and secondary Win8Pro desktop are all in sync with email and People. Even if I change the background on my RT it updates the desktops.

Yes, the desktop background sync was kind of a cool addition.

R0bR

What's cool is that I was working on a document on my work laptop running W8 in Word 2013, I then went to my personal laptop and launched Word 2013 and my document was listed as recent. I launched the document and it gave me the option to continue where I left off, I said yea and it took me right to the page and line, cursor ready to continue. Pretty cool.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I used Windows Live. It isn't working as expected or I'm misusing it. I change or add a appointment in my outlook and publish it to the web. If I open the Surface calendar, the changes are not there. The change will reflect on the Tablet Calendar if I log into hotmail/calendar, them the appointment added on my notebook outlook is shown there, then, it is shown in my Surface RT.

The notes nor the tasks are synchronized, but just contacts and the calendar (with the mentioned problem)
The syncing between the devices takes some time, but should be in order after some x-minutes. Is the email adress the same as for your windows-account or an additional?

Tasks aren't synced, because the option is missing from the calendar at the moment. I'm not aware of an app who's capable of doing that with live-services (only one for google tasks). That's a real pity for me too, but i expect it to return on some update. Note-taking goes well with OneNote, but i'm not sure about outlook, since i haven't been using this for a long time.