What's new

List of top 3 likes and dislikes about SP3

Telstar1948

As I recall my SP3 found the Brother HL-2270DW wireless printer in my office by itself as it did with the same exact printer in my study upstairs. I don't recall having to jump through any hoops...now, when I set the same printer up with my desktop machine before getting my SP3, I did have to jump through some hoops then.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I add a new like, that may well have been stated here there or anywhere, but that i don't recall coming across. Kinda a counter "lapability" perk.

When i'm done with my surface, i flip the keyboard up, and the device takes up about 2" of desk space and can be instantly flipped back down for use. Try that with a conventional laptop!

Aegeas

Let me add a new dislike. The SP3 is so light I can't tell if it is in my backpack or not. I find myself opening it to see if I still have it or if some git has nicked it while I had my back turned. It is a terrible problem to have ;-)

B

B'midbar

Top 3 likes

1. Weight
2. Screen
3. Horsepower for the size of the package

Top 3 dislikes

1. Length of power adapter cord
2. Not enough memory
3. Cost (keyboard should be bundled)

Chris Grew

That's weird, mine's a WF2530 so nearly the same as yours I guess and I had no issues, but I suppose sometimes glitches happen! I knew @Chris Grew was on the phone with MS for hours and hours regarding installation of something he needed, which should have just worked, and didn't!

Yes, it turned out the installation of Windows 8.1 from new was corrupt.

Once they found it, the Indian support quickly replaced it with a new install and it has been fine ever since.

Regards

Chris

Billy64

Mine about SP3 (after 15 days)

Top 3 likes
  1. The screen , High resolution (usually 12" laptops are 1024 x 768 or 1280x800 max.), good colors and light. And 12" size is perfect to read magazines and comics (one of the things tablets are interesting). I was thinking to buy the Samsung Galaxy Pro 12", but did´nt bought because of point 2.
  2. Real x64 Windows 8.1 , I can work with 3D CAD Solidworks without any problem.
  3. The weight and size (heaviest than Galaxy Pro 12 but acceptable)
Could add the pen, the keyboard (much better than SP2) with very ingenious magnet system, the stand, the MicroSD slot, speakers... but only 3 + are required..:-(.

Top 3 dislikes
  1. USB port not very powerful, does'nt accept two mechanicals hard disks in a hub without extra power
  2. Dual boot hard to configure. I still did´nt reach yet to install Android x86 in dual boot. Should be natively dual boot Windows/Android (Works with Oracle Virtualbox but it not the same experience)
  3. Some Wifi issues , disconnect sometime without any reason. (but reconnect fast when disconnect/connect manually) , and problem with AD-HOC connection (even if it seems to be more a problem of Windows 8 than of the Surface)

Billy64

Mine about SP3 (after 15 days)

Top 3 likes

1. The screen , High resolution (usually 12" laptops are 1024 x 768 or 1280x800 max.), good colors and light. And 12" size is perfect to read magazines and comics (one of the things tablets are interesting). I was thinking to buy the Samsung Galaxy Pro 12", but did´nt bought because of point 2.

2. Real x64 Windows 8.1 , I can work with 3D CAD Solidworks without any problem.

3. The weight and size (heaviest than Galaxy Pro 12 but acceptable)

Could add the pen, the keyboard (much better than SP2) with very ingenious magnet system, the stand, the MicroSD slot, speakers... but only 3 + are required..:-(.

Top 3 dislikes

1. USB port not very powerful, does'nt accept two mechanicals hard disks in a hub without extra power

2. Dual boot hard to configure. I still did´nt reach yet to install Android x86 in dual boot. Should be natively dual boot Windows/Android (Works with Oracle Virtualbox but it not the same experience)

3. Some Wifi issues , disconnect sometime without any reason. (but reconnect fast when disconnect/connect manually) , and problem with AD-HOC connection (even if it seems to be more a problem of Windows 8 than of the Surface)
[/LIST]

===========
EDIT Just bought this powered hub HOO TOO USB 3.0 HT-UH005 http://www.ebay.fr/itm/HooToo-USB-3...id=p3984.m1439.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
working perfectly with two or more HD ,
I Will buy too a USB cord to 5V to connect directly to the SP3 power adapter to avoid to use an extra transformer like this http://www.ebay.fr/itm/USB-to-DC-Pl...id=p3984.m1439.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited:

ASBOST

1. Design....it's beautiful
2. Screen....crystal clear and vibrant
3. Practicality......laptop during the day....tablet for fun at night

Dislikes:

1. Poor / No pen holder.....Why is this not attached securely to the £109 KB or to the actual unit
2. Could really do with one more USB
3. Poor apps

Other than that....love it!

- Small form but lots of power
- Glorious display

Dislikes
- Can't turn off screen and keep other windows programs running. This really annoys me.
- On i7 model, the fan turns on too often. I live in a desert and it can get pretty warm. During warm days the fan will run constantly while CPU is at <25%
- No pen holder

Ryan Whipple

1) Standardization. My OS on my personal desktop looks like my OS on my SP3 looks (almost) like my desktop on my work laptop. Office is Office. Sorry, but all other Office-like apps feel like knock-offs to me, no matter how great/legitimate they may be.

2) Convenience. I redirected My Documents etc to my OneDrive on desktop and SP3, and now all my files are accessible no matter where I am, without any effort/logging in/downloading/opening a OneDrive/Google Docs/DropBox app. This sort of goes hand-in-hand with #1.

3) Power. I am essentially holding a desktop in my hand. I can browse the internet or run Visual Studio on a tablet. Word.

Dislikes:
1) This is a Windows machine, not a consumer device. iPads etc are stripped down so you can't do much, but in return they operate very consistently. In contrast, I had to uninstall (one of two!!!!) OneDrive applications to prevent constant syncing from eating up my battery. Unbeknownst to me, installing Visual Studio made Windows run on a hypervisor that alters my hibernation states and makes Wi-Fi mildly annoying. Etc.

2) It is nice to have a desktop in tablet form, but that sometimes things are optimized for touch (or at least touch is feasible), sometimes I have to use the pen to have enough precision to push tiny buttons. Basically, touch is a new feature that a lot of applications aren't compatible with. Not that I expect them to be, but it just is a reminder that I'm straddling two digital worlds.

3) The form factor. There are a few angles on this:

3a) I use the keyboard 99.7% of the time, which means that every time I open it I have to set it kickstand-side up, open the kickstand, tip it over, and open the keyboard. It's a two-hand operation. In comparison, I can open my iPad in a Zagg keyboard in one smooth motion with one hand. The multitude of viewing angles isn't worth the tradeoff to me. (And, I'd just like to point out, a similar keyboard could be made for SP3...you just wouldn't open the kickstand at all)

3b) The touchpad on the keyboard means the keyboard takes up about another ~18 square inches of space it doesn't really need to, considering the whole screen is touch! Again, compare to the iPad/Zagg combo, which has a smaller footprint on a desk/table.

3c) Lapability. The whole thing is just a floppy mess. I knew this when I bought it, but it annoys me more than I expected. I have to have a solid surface that extends from the front edge of the keyboard clear to the kickstand to have a good laptop experience. When I pick it up, the keyboard dangles and the kickstand sticks out. One more time, compare to iPad/Zagg, which can be solidly placed on any surface, has a footprint about 4" shallower, can be easily closed to pick up, or can be picked up one-handed without the keyboard flopping down.

Misc Thought
One big draw for me was using the pen to mark up Powerpoint slides. My job (usually) involves lots of meetings with lots of slides. A few years ago I started putting them on my iPad to save paper and be able to carry more info around all the time. The SP3 offered the potential to 1) take notes in split-screen format, and/or more power to use native PPT notes, and 2) the potential to mark up slides with a pen. Life is kind of funny, because I just haven't needed to do that much recently, so I haven't had the chance to test out one of its biggest intended purposes in a real-life setting. I look forward to being able to do this.