What's new

Local vs. Microsoft account- why or why not

mcsenerd

I concur with the general consensus here... MS has the way syncing should work pretty close to down pat. iOS iCloud based syncing comes close, but it's not as good.

lparsons21

While I do use the MS syncing and love it, I also use Apple's and like it better for all things except for the lack of cloud file storage.

MS' ecosystem is lacking in one major thing from my POV. And that is contacts and various apps. With Apple contacts is contacts is contacts and are available in any app that needs them. That is just not so with Windows.

Skype is a huge example.

1. Desktop Skype will import only from Facebook and can use Outlook contacts but only if Outlook itself is running.
2. 'Modern UI' Skype won't import from anything at all but supposedly uses the ones that are in Skype Desktop.

Skype on OSX or iOS uses Apple's unified contacts structure just fine, which means it can be done just fine. MS' has chosen not to do that on Win8 apps, or even previous versions if I'm remembering right.

And look at IE. One of the nice things I like about Apple's syncing is that my bookmarks and tabs are all there across the iOS and even Windows with Safari. That is sweet. But unless I don't know how, I can't figure out a way for that to be the case with IE, not even with the 2 versions of IE on a win8/8.1 machine.

strollin

I guess I'll be the lone person that doesn't like syncing all of their settings to every device. Call me old-fashioned but I prefer setting my devices up separately. I know where to find my stuff if I need it so use a local account. I have absolutely no problems using the Store, I occasionally get prompted for my MS credentials but it's simple enough to enter them only when needed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you use your Microsoft Account in Skype all of your contacts are there....I use it on Lumina and SP3....

lparsons21

If you use your Microsoft Account in Skype all of your contacts are there....I use it on Lumina and SP3....

They may be there, but the 'modern' version doesn't use them.

Here's my beef. If I use Skype from anywhere or on any platform, it should see all my contacts that each version sees. It doesn't.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All of my Microsoft Contacts are in my Modern UI version of Skype, I don't use the desktop version....

Are you using the old legacy Skype Account (before MS purchase) or your Microsoft Account?

EMINENT

And look at IE. One of the nice things I like about Apple's syncing is that my bookmarks and tabs are all there across the iOS and even Windows with Safari. That is sweet. But unless I don't know how, I can't figure out a way for that to be the case with IE, not even with the 2 versions of IE on a win8/8.1 machine.

IE tabs, bookmarks, and passwords sync between my pc, Surface, and phone. Click the tab button and at the top left of the tabs, there is a dropdown to choose which machine you want to see tabs open.

Also, with a MS acct. if you have it set, my Lumia 920 on WP 8.1 is synced to Onedrive so I can restore or start a new phone and all my icon placements and apps are restored in a few minutes.

Last edited:
OP
malberttoo

malberttoo

All of my Microsoft Contacts are in my Modern UI version of Skype, I don't use the desktop version....

Are you using the old legacy Skype Account (before MS purchase) or your Microsoft Account?

Maybe this demands a thread of its own... but what are the major differences between Desktop and Modern Skype? I sit in front of a Win7 workstation all day, and use Desktop Skype heavily for chatting. I use Skype on my HTC One Android phone, and on my ThinkPad X201T.

So now that I'm ready to install one or the other on my SP3, which way to go? Also, I'm currently signed into them with my Skype account, not a MS asccount, although I have no objection to signing in with the MS account.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this demands a thread of its own... but what are the major differences between Desktop and Modern Skype? I sit in front of a Win7 workstation all day, and use Desktop Skype heavily for chatting. I use Skype on my HTC One Android phone, and on my ThinkPad X201T.

So now that I'm ready to install one or the other on my SP3, which way to go? Also, I'm currently signed into them with my Skype account, not a MS asccount, although I have no objection to signing in with the MS account.

I would use the desktop client in your case as you're using your Skype Account and switching wouldn't import all of your clients, the only issue is MUI Skype works with Connected Standby allowing you to receive calls while in S0iX....

OP
malberttoo

malberttoo

lparsons21

I use my MS account.

Let me clarify how/what I do. I'm cross-platform on a daily basis and only recently started using Windows again because of the SurfacePro. Prior to that, everything I did was on Apple gear. There contacts are maintained across the ecosystem which allows me to make contact info entries/edits on the computer where it is very handy to do, and the changes/adds/deletes all migrate to the iOS devices and all apps that use contacts, including most 3rd party ones.

Even Skype on iOS or OSX uses this database of contacts. I expected, but did not find, any way to have those contacts automagically appear or even be importable to the Windows world. If there is something I need to do to get them all there for Windows apps to use, feel free to educate me.