What's new

Lock Screen, onscreen keyboard, not active

gmab

I have question regarding the onscreen keyboard.

This used to work just fine until recently and I'm not sure what changed. This problem only occurs from the lock screen.
An onscreen numeric keypad used to pop up (or keyboard for regular password) during login if the touch keyboard was folded back or not installed. This onscreen keypad/keyboard no longer pops up no matter what I do.

I've tried removing / attaching the touch keyboard, restarting with it attaching, restarting with it removed, etc. etc.

Does anyone know if there is a setting that got flipped or do I need to reinstall drivers?

Once logged in, the onscreen keyboard works normally in Metro, desktop, etc.

Thanks,

tonyz3

are you not getting anything or just not the number keypad- if just not getting the number keypad you need to set the KB to the one without the numbers across the top. Now additionally as an alternate KB while on the login screen hit the circle button (narration option) on the LEFT and it will give you an option for the alternative KB. I have run into this problem - not getting any KB if while the SP was sleeping i took off the KB than logged in. Are you doing something like that...

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

I seldom have the keyboard attached to my Surface.
And I often have problems getting the on-screen keyboard to come up in order to log in.
I have to touch in the lower right corner and tell it I want an English keyboard and then tap it a couple more times and eventually the keyboard comes up.
Most of the time it works pretty well. But occasionally it doesn't want to work.

OP
G

gmab

are you not getting anything or just not the number keypad- if just not getting the number keypad you need to set the KB to the one without the numbers across the top. Now additionally as an alternate KB while on the login screen hit the circle button (narration option) on the LEFT and it will give you an option for the alternative KB. I have run into this problem - not getting any KB if while the SP was sleeping i took off the KB than logged in. Are you doing something like that...

No keypad or keyboard. I can login with my normal password or a 4-digit number (selectable sign-in options under pin/password).

Yup, I know about the circle button and alternative KB....that works fine.

So, even while sleeping, power off, keyboard on/off, etc., I can't get the normal keyboard/keypad to come up on the login screen.....ever. It used to but now????

psnative

i had a problem once and support has me detach and reattach the keyboard like 20 times and haven't had a problem since

OP
G

gmab

i had a problem once and support has me detach and reattach the keyboard like 20 times and haven't had a problem since

I read that somewhere.

I detached/reattached 20 times at the lockscreen, rebooted, no-go.
I did it again in the main Metro Start window, rebooted, no-go.

I'm willing to try anything at this point.:sorry:

Nuspieds

Well I, too, have to say that I have had the same problem and all I've had to do is detach/re-attach has always worked for me. It always seemed to have occurred when I am switching to/from tablet-only mode (i.e., I have the Type Cover flipped back) and the unit has gone into sleep/screensaver mode--something of that nature.

Regardless, detaching and re-attaching the Type Cover always resolved it.

OP
G

gmab

Still have been able to track this down and get it fixed. I really hate the thought of doing a 'refresh' and reloading everything.

I was hoping it was a device driver or something. This all started when I got my Plugable dock, hmmm.

tonyz3

Still have been able to track this down and get it fixed. I really hate the thought of doing a 'refresh' and reloading everything.

I was hoping it was a device driver or something. This all started when I got my Plugable dock, hmmm.
Did you try going into the device mgr screen thru the Desktop and rt click on each device than hit update driver to see if one is needed. Also check the driver for the plugable dock thru their website to see if a driver is needed. Also if you just recently updated a drive rt before the issues started you can try to roll it back-- on the same device mgr screen rt click than go into properties.. hope this helps.