What's new

Lock screen - unlock method has changed? (any key or screen vs. power+volume buttons)

SteG

Hi. I set a password to unlock the lock screen on my Surface. Whenever the lock screen on my Surface appeared in the past, I just had to click any key on the keyboard or touch the screen to make the field appear on the screen where I could enter my password and then the screen was unlocked. Now, all of a sudden, it says on the left of the lock screen:

"Press and hold the power button, and then press the volume down button to unlock. (Or you can unlock by pressing CTRL+Alt+Delete.)"

That's new to me. And I hate it. How can I get rid of that? I just want to klick any key again or touch the screen to make the field appear where I can enter my password, instead of having to use two hands to click two buttons on the top of the Surface to make that field appear.

Thank you much.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What model of Surface, and what version and build of Windows 10? (Settings, System, About)

OP
S

SteG

Is this a lock screen vs. sign in screen issue, perhaps?
Perhaps then it is wrong to say that "I set a password to unlock the lock screen on my Surface." because the password is asked for on the sign on screen? Should I delete the lock screen feature so that only the sign on screen remains? I'm confused....

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, 1909. You have the latest. I hope you can find something that works for you, because your old way of signing in from the Lock screen may have changed. :(

You can set your sign-in options via Settings, Account, Sign-in options. I suggest you set a Windows Hello PIN if you haven't already, and also register a Windows Hello Face. The Face feature should work brilliantly on your Surface Pro 2017.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can bypass that Lock screen if you wish to. I think Windows Hello Face is brilliant, for the sign-in screen.

OP
S

SteG

Thanks. I have small black stickers on the forward and backward cameras of my Surface. Can't trust anyone... ;)