What's new

Lock Symbol?

stegzzz

Hi, when I connect my type cover 2 keyboard to my surface pro 2 a little lock icon appears next to the screen brightness icon on the settings menu. Any ideas what this means?

Thanks, stegzzz.

CreativeLemming

Well. When the keyboard isn't attached you can click on the lock icon to prevent the screen from automatically rotating when you move the device from landscape to/from portrait positions.
The odd thing is, when you do attach the keyboard the 'lock orientation' icon is displayed (and can't be modified) although when you rotate the screen the display still rotates.
So, I can only infer that when you attach the keyboard this is supposed to stop the screen rotating when you physically rotate it, but there is yet another bug that displays the 'lock rotation' icon which would be a natural intention when using a keyboard, although this doesn't actually stop the screen rotating.
That must be the most times I've used the word 'rotate' (or variants of) in one posting. I blame the Christmas port...

OP
S

stegzzz

Well. When the keyboard isn't attached you can click on the lock icon to prevent the screen from automatically rotating when you move the device from landscape to/from portrait positions.
The odd thing is, when you do attach the keyboard the 'lock orientation' icon is displayed (and can't be modified) although when you rotate the screen the display still rotates.
So, I can only infer that when you attach the keyboard this is supposed to stop the screen rotating when you physically rotate it, but there is yet another bug that displays the 'lock rotation' icon which would be a natural intention when using a keyboard, although this doesn't actually stop the screen rotating.
That must be the most times I've used the word 'rotate' (or variants of) in one posting. I blame the Christmas port...

Maybe the icon is a reminder that the keyboard is attached!

daniielrp

Yes the idea is that when the keyboard is attached and being used, the screen orientation locks to landscape in what would be 'laptop' mode, and you get that symbol on your brightness charm. When you fold the keyboard back to use it like a tablet, it's supposed to unlock the orientation and allow it to rotate.

However I have found it to be hit and miss...

CreativeLemming

Yes the idea is that when the keyboard is attached and being used, the screen orientation locks to landscape in what would be 'laptop' mode, and you get that symbol on your brightness charm. When you fold the keyboard back to use it like a tablet, it's supposed to unlock the orientation and allow it to rotate.

However I have found it to be hit and miss...

Ah yes, the icon does change when you fold the cover back. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference though, still rotates in both modes - so many nice touches to this OS, just a shame that they're often so poorly executed that they attract more criticism than praise...