What's new

Locked Out of UEFI.

gimbo11

I set a password for my Surface pro 3 after fiddling with the UEFI settings. Now I cant remember the password I set. It seems I disabled the wifi and some other thing like its ability to boot from USB and the sound. I was able to boot a recovery "disk" form within widows and do a factory reset, but that didn't touch the admin password. Is there any way to recover or bypass my Administration password that I put on the UEFI. I have been searching the web for days, and it is very difficult to find any information on the topic. I am pretty embarrassed and pissed off at this stupid mistake, that may have rendered my tablet useless.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

That password is there for a reason and if you can't figure out what it is you may be up a creek. You can't reomove or otherwise short the CMOS battery which would be the trick on a desktop system.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To gain backdoor access I heard a rumor you have to tap out the Gettysburg Address in Morse Code on the power button with every prime numbered word exclusive of those below 10 entered in reverse. The NSA uses a robot for this. :D

Good luck.
OMYS I really hope you can remember that password.

Close your eyes and think what was my thought process when I selected that password... what sounds or smells were present, what was the weather like... IDK it might be worth a shot it works on those TV shows... :)

OP
G

gimbo11

Thanks for the replies I have been working on some work around. I have an external usb wifi card that works for internet and all the dock features seem to still work.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies I have been working on some work around. I have an external usb wifi card that works for internet and all the dock features seem to still work.
With proof of purchase you should be able to contact Microsoft for service either in the Store or online....

OP
G

gimbo11

I saw that I could get service through those means. It would be a few hundred dollars for a replacement as it is just out of warranty, by about a month.