What's new

Locking Down Surface RT (ver1)

cpetro

Our business is considering a bulk purchase of Surface RT ver1 units and would appreciate any assistance as it relates to "locking down" the functionality of the units in order to limit end user creativity. Quick background - we currently utilize rented iPad's at trade shows where the exhibitors place orders through our web based order entry system. The iPad's are pointed to a specific domain (our intranet, established for each event), the user logs in, and gains access to their product offer for the event. This works perfectly - but given we rent 200 of the iPad's for each event the rental fees are in essence lost revenue. We recently deployed some Surface RT's and had nothing but positive feedback from the users. As such, we would appreciate any assistance regarding this need to lock down the units to basically using the browser, and ignoring any other wifi networks which may be in service at the event venue. I appreciate any and all input / suggestions. Thank You!!

OP
C

cpetro

Solution Is Perfect!!!

Upgrade them to RT/8.1 after you patch them, then create a KIOSK User on each:

How to Easily Put a Windows PC into Kiosk Mode With Assigned Access

You can also use something like Windows Intune for MDM for even better control.

Jeff,

First & foremost - my apologies for the delay in getting back to you to THANK YOU for your swift and on target reply. Your solution satisfies our need and is easily implemented. I was wondering if I might throw another question into this scenario - is it possible to only permit the tablets to lock onto our intranet at the events and disregard any other wifi present in the venue? We want to reduce any battery charge expended while searching for other wifi offerings in the venue.

Thanks Again For Your Support,

Chris

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Windows Intune has the ability to be able to assign specific SSIDs....

Also you could look at the Local Security Policy if you didn't want to use Intune.

OP
C

cpetro

Jeff,

Once again Thanks Much for the additional direction and swift reply - it is appreciated!! FYI - decision made - 200 Surface ver1 tablets will be ordered today.

Chris