What's new

Looking for new photo editing app

blackicebell

Greetings,

I saw the new Surface 2 commercial and noticed the professional photographer using the Surface to edit photos using his stylus. ...Does anyone know the name of that app? That's the only app I've seen that allows you to actually retouch professional photos (as in removing blemishes).

I have the original Surface RT. Since it was the Surface 2 commercial, I assume I could run that app as well.

oion

Greetings,

I saw the new Surface 2 commercial and noticed the professional photographer using the Surface to edit photos using his stylus. ...Does anyone know the name of that app? That's the only app I've seen that allows you to actually retouch professional photos (as in removing blemishes).

I have the original Surface RT. Since it was the Surface 2 commercial, I assume I could run that app as well.

Maybe you're talking about this ad?

You probably missed the fine print. If there's ever a stylus involved, it's the Surface Pro. MS made the mistake of mixing both devices in a single commercial--stupid MS.

oion

yep... that's the commercial. And now I'm sad. lol. ....thanks for the help.

Ugh, I fear for the average consumer...

While the latest ads for the new gens are infinitely better than the dancing crap, Microsoft still manages to fuck up. I expect a lot more confusion about the stylus now. *facepalm*

The only way for Microsoft to salvage this is to make sure it's not fine print--put giant high-contrast text on the frames containing the stylus "SURFACE PRO MODELS ONLY," or an actual marketing callout "Surface Pro models come with a stylus." Look at how small and faded this is. Normal people just don't pay attention to the fine print on TV ads, and this is probably going to come back and bite MS in the ass.

2igdi74.jpg

OP
B

blackicebell

I wasn't too concerned about the pen. I figured the screen technology was the same and I could just buy a pen separately. The app itself caught my eye. I figured maybe they finally made an advanced photo editing app for Windows RT. ....but yeah, I agree, they messed up again. Love the commercial, but definitely misleading. They should've left that part out all together.

oion

I wasn't too concerned about the pen. I figured the screen technology was the same and I could just buy a pen separately. The app itself caught my eye. I figured maybe they finally made an advanced photo editing app for Windows RT. ....but yeah, I agree, they messed up again. Love the commercial, but definitely misleading. They should've left that part out all together.

There was another thread based on this confusing ad too, now that I think about it.

Surface Pro includes a Wacom active digitizer, which is licensed. The screen technology definitely isn't the same as RT/Surface 2.

There's a demo of the Tegra 4 (the chip in the Surface 2) in combination with NVidia's DirectStylus software producing a fairly decent pen experience without active digitizer. This is not enabled in the Surface 2, however, and I suspect MS did that to prevent too much confusion between Pro/RT models. Maybe they'll enable it later.

Looking at the ad frame, the task bar icon says "PS," which is Photoshop. You're not running Photoshop on Windows RT, that's for sure. ;)

OP
B

blackicebell

lol. no, not at all. And I was aware of that when I purchased the Surface RT. After balancing the pros and cons, the Adobe suite is the only "legacy" software I use and I don't edit photos when doing photoshoots on the road. I still have my old MacBook Pro for that. But as far as everything else, the RT works just fine. I daily use Office, SkyDrive, Windows Mail, multi-tasking, and usb for all my productivity needs.

oion

lol. no, not at all. And I was aware of that when I purchased the Surface RT. After balancing the pros and cons, the Adobe suite is the only "legacy" software I use and I don't edit photos when doing photoshoots on the road. I still have my old MacBook Pro for that. But as far as everything else, the RT works just fine. I daily use Office, SkyDrive, Windows Mail, multi-tasking, and usb for all my productivity needs.

I don't know much about Adobe Photoshop Touch, but someone on this forum said a store rep (MS? dunno) told him that PS Touch will be coming to the Windows app store eventually. Like you, I have Photoshop on a different machine, so I don't mind the lack on Surface RT/2, but PS Touch does sound nice.