What's new

Loose screen when attached to base

MarkB55

Bought a Surface Book with performance base a few months ago. Really like the machine, however I used it on a train and afterwards noticed the screen is a little loose from the base and makes a clicking noise. There also seems to be a small misalignment with the base on the left side. I am thinking the vibrations on the train caused the 'grip' in the screen where it attaches to the base to come loose or move. Still works fine and can pick up computer by screen and no problem there. Has anyone else had this problem and how easy is it to get fixed.? Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a rare problem. I don't know where you live, but I would get to a Microsoft Store soon. Something seems to be loose, and train vibrations should not have caused this. Likely to get even more loose.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have two Surface Book units, one with the Performance Base. Both get very heavy use, and travel with me around the world.

The two clipboards and bases are inter-changeable. No wobble or mis-alignment has occurred.

Deryl McCarty

Had the loose and slightly misaligned issue myself for the first 3 months or so after purchasing my SB (day one purchase). I kept looking at other machines, especially in the Microsoft Store in Bellevue, but theirs always looked aligned on the base versus with no light able to be seen through the crack where the base and tablet meet. Mine did, on the right side only. But I endured the occasional and unbidden attached and detached popuips that came up and solved them selves without my interference. Then one day I got frustrated and may have used the heel of my hand to jostle the tablet portion. To my surprise, out came a fingernail from the tablet attach-recess on the right side. I put the SB back together and no misalignment was visible nor were there any more unbidden detach/attach issues. (Until insider/fast ring 15060 and beyond with the Surface Dock attached, then lotsa unbidden attach/detach, device driver re-do re-do re-do (all with lotsa ding sounds). Have to revert to a USB 3.0 10 port powered hub with printers, internet cabling, and MDP run through that hub. arghhhh