What's new

Loose Screen

David Puddy

I noticed my surface pro 2 screen has a bit of play when I push near the top left of the screen. When I push on it, it makes a noise as if this one part is slightly loose. I'm not talking about the frame edges but on the glass surface of the screen itself near the top left within the black border of the screen. I didn't notice when I first got it but maybe it's been there all this time. I don't want to return it because it's otherwise perfect. Anyone else notice this? Just push with your thumbs along the edges of your screen to see if you notice any give on your screen. It's not impacting the performance of the machine at all but knowing it's there bugs me. thank you.

mitchellvii

QC issues are the last thing MS needs right now as they attempt to charge above-market prices for a "premium" device.

jamesk

It seems like MS spent more time to perfect the Surface 2 compared to the Pro 2. All the stands for the Surface 2 that I have seen have been perfectly flush with the back, no "loose screens", updated charger, etch. A lot of the Pro 2's I've seen at the MS Store and Bets Buy have all had problems with the stand being completely flush with the back and seemed a little loose.

CrippsCorner

Maybe because it was a completely new shell compared to the Surface Pro 2 which is just new internals... not that I've seen that many problems with the originals.

killervette666

Thank you for confirming this! Mine does the same thing. Except it's kind of the top right quarter of the tablet. It makes a fairly load "cracking" noise as if (as someone pointed out) the glue didnt stick all the way. I agree about the QC issues, my SP1 had none of these problems (I also have a quiet hissing sound). I don't want to return it, but at the same time if I pay $1,000 for something it better be d@$% near perfect, and I figure play in a touch screen that gets touched/squeezed all the time can't be good. The problem is what if the next one has a bad wireless chip, or bad something or another.

OP
D

David Puddy

Thank you for confirming this! Mine does the same thing. Except it's kind of the top right quarter of the tablet. It makes a fairly load "cracking" noise as if (as someone pointed out) the glue didnt stick all the way. I agree about the QC issues, my SP1 had none of these problems (I also have a quiet hissing sound). I don't want to return it, but at the same time if I pay $1,000 for something it better be d@$% near perfect, and I figure play in a touch screen that gets touched/squeezed all the time can't be good. The problem is what if the next one has a bad wireless chip, or bad something or another.

I know, it's disappointing as this is my second one and it does the same thing. I don't want to get one that's worse with something more serious. I'm planning on keeping this one. Also, iPad 5 is on the way too.

oion

Remember, 1 year warranty (2 if you buy the extended). As it appears the first run batches may have higher incidence of specific issues, it's probably better to wait a bit than risk another imperfect unit.

iandv

I don't have this problem on mine. If I was you, I would go for an exchange and inspect the new one before leaving the store.