What's new

Loose Screen

OP
D

David Puddy

I don't have this problem on mine. If I was you, I would go for an exchange and inspect the new one before leaving the store.

I tried that with my second try. I couldn't tell in the store because of the surrounding noise. I believe it might start happening after it's been heated up for a while. It only happens on the top edge, camera side about 2 inches in from the corners.

I wouldn’t say my screen is loose, but I notice when using the pen, different parts of the screen make different noises. The middle sounds much more hollow than the outsides. It also feels a little different when inking in the middle, like the pen taps resonate more. This is my second SP2 and I don’t remember noticing that on the first one. Anybody else notice this? I don’t think its worth exchanging over cause it probably wont cause any issues, but its just annoying.

OP
D

David Puddy

I wouldn’t say my screen is loose, but I notice when using the pen, different parts of the screen make different noises. The middle sounds much more hollow than the outsides. It also feels a little different when inking in the middle, like the pen taps resonate more. This is my second SP2 and I don’t remember noticing that on the first one. Anybody else notice this? I don’t think its worth exchanging over cause it probably wont cause any issues, but its just annoying.

I haven't' noticed any issues with the middle parts of the screen , I don't use the pen much though. If you press along the seems of your surface pro mainly the top edge (camera side), do you notice any looseness?

I haven't' noticed any issues with the middle parts of the screen , I don't use the pen much though. If you press along the seems of your surface pro mainly the top edge (camera side), do you notice any looseness?

No looseness on this one. I did notice on my SP2 that sometimes when I tapped near the top, It would make a sound like the screen was hitting something.

godson594

I'm pretty annoyed. Mine just started doing this in the top left corner. I bought it on release day and it has been babied since day one.

So now I have to return and hope to god I don't get a new one with some other bad problem...

This is a 256 8gb model...

grumpy

I have the same issue. On mine, the entire right third of the screen seems affected (a crunchy/cracking sound when pressed or grasped). The problem did not start until after a month, so a store replacement was out of the question. I wasn't planning on requesting a replacement from MS, but then I began to experience "odd" battery issues. I have not had any issues with my SP1 and its reliability was the main factor in my decision to pick up a SP2.

godson594

Worst part is I was the guy who was like "okay i'm over Apple products, lets give Microsoft a chance again"

Sold my Macbook air for this thing and now it has to go back and hopefully get a good replacement.

CreativeLemming

I 'fixed' my friends SP2 that had this problem all along the top of the screen using a hairdryer to head up the glass and soften the glue, then rubbing & applying pressure all along the edge - hasn't complained about it coming back yet. Luckily my own doesn't show this problem (yet)...

DungeonShredder

I might give that a go top left corner to middle is doing it on mine it's slightly annoying.
I have issues returning it for something so minor.
Plus it's completely sold out in my area and online as well in Canada
More afraid of not having it for weeks than anything else. I'm an addict.
lol I blew 150 bucks on a 10 year old psu that needed a power adapter for every attachment on the motherboard to get my pc back up and running the same day sucker sounded like a jet.
It kind of sucks living out in the sticks the nearest real pc parts shop is 3 hours away.

iliketoys

Got my SP2 on day one and it was fine till recently. Top left corner has a slight creak now when I press. Kinda annoying, hope it doesn't get worse.

markus

My first SP2 had the creaking problem on the left top. Got a replacement because of the firmware issue in december. At first no creaking, now the right top creaks a little bit.
I discovered that the creaking does not come from the display itself - it is the plastic on top where the power button sits. Somehow this piece does not fit perfectly. i realized that - when softly placing my fingernails between that plastic and the screen - the creaking stops.
I managed to slide a piece of paper between it and what can i say - the creaking stopped. I will leave it that way for some days and hope that the plastic itself will maybe be "formed" enough so i can remove the paper again withput this issue reappearing.

Maybe it is the same with the creaking units you all got?

Would appreciate any feedback if someone cares to try that out.

Cheers

(and sorry if i did not describe my method well enough - english is my second language ;) )