What's new

Loose volume rocker on new Surface 2

rgbjr48

Hey all, just got my Surface 2 on Tuesday. Great tablet but one thing bothers me: the volume rocker is really loose. It travels quite a bit up and down. I just wanted to know if everyone else's does that too or should I return it?

beman39

well does it rock loosely or slide loosely? if it does it ALOT, then I would def bring it back for a return as I don't think it's supposed to be loose well not on my Surface RT anyways...also is the volume still functioning properly?

OP
R

rgbjr48

It definitely slides a lot, more so back and forth. It still functions but I worry over time it could malfunction. I think I will return it. Do I return it to bestbuy or will they tell me to contact Microsoft?

Akinzekeel

I have a similar Problem with a loose volume rocker. You can actually hear a clicking Sound when slightly shaking the device.

I'll check back with the retailer today if I have time.

beman39

It definitely slides a lot, more so back and forth. It still functions but I worry over time it could malfunction. I think I will return it. Do I return it to bestbuy or will they tell me to contact Microsoft?

bring it back to BB they should replace it for you if your not over the 30 day mark, if your over then they send it in to get repaired, probably to MS

OP
R

rgbjr48

So I went into Best Buy and the customer service guy exchanged it with a brand new one no questions asked, that's great. However, when I got home and opened the new one it is still just as loose. Is the volume rocker supposed to be loose? It rattles when I shake the tablet. Can anyone with a Surface 2 chime in please? This is really frustrating.

Akinzekeel

Okay I just got back from the store. When I told about the problem they checked one of the displayed Surface 2 and supposedly it had the same problem.

I still don't think this is right, but I am not sure what to do now.

Edit: by the way I do own a Surface Pro 1 and the volume rocker is rock-solid on that one.

oion

Can anyone post macro pictures to show this problem? I inspected my Surface 2 and the various buttons appear solid to my expectations, but I'm having a hard time imagining what the motion looks like for what you're reporting (compared to VaporMg flaking and whatnot). I wonder if it's a bad early batch.

I can get pictures, but it rattles around if you shake the tablet, and you can move it up and down a bit. I have a build date of 9/2/2013 on mine, so it'd have to be one of the first ones.

oion

I can get pictures, but it rattles around if you shake the tablet, and you can move it up and down a bit. I have a build date of 9/2/2013 on mine, so it'd have to be one of the first ones.

Ahh, okay. I just shook mine and it doesn't make a sound. How do you check build date?