What's new

Loose volume rocker on surface

borka105

I received my Surface two days ago and while using the device, I noticed that my volume rocker button has room to jiggle up and down. I have not had a chance to go back to the store and see if this is the case for all the surfaces or just something that I am observing.

Can you please let me know if you are able to jiggle your button up and down.. it's as if there is an extra mm of room between the cut out for the rocker and the actual rocker. The volume button works perfectly (no issues) when pressing it, but it makes a noise/rattle because there is room for it to move up and down.

Does my Surface have an issue?

Thanks,

bosamar

Mine moves a few micros or so... I'm not worried. Exactly how loose is your volume rocker?

OP
B

borka105

Mine moves a few micros or so... I'm not worried. Exactly how loose is your volume rocker?

I can put my finger over it and shift the button up and down... what annoys me is the cheap rattle sound it generates. I am thinking it should be pressed tight into the frame of the tablet similarly to how the volume buttons are on my phone and other tablets.

Sin

Mine moves as well. Doesn't rattle around when moving the device but I can move it pretty easily with my finger.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Mine moves a tiny bit ~1mm or less. More than some of my other devices but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

OP
B

borka105

Mine moves a tiny bit ~1mm or less. More than some of my other devices but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

I think I'll be stopping by my local pop-up store this weekend and checking out what the Surface's there are like.. to me personally it seems out of place compared to how well situated/firm everything else is on the device.

I will update once I've had a chance to investigate.

mrspidernz

Now that you mention it, mine rattles as other people have discussed - I swear it wasn't like that before!
Also I think it makes much more of a louder harsh click noise when you press the down volume button.

dizx

I solved this problem with cutting a small piece of plastic (10mm x 2mm), similar to the plastic used in screen protectors, and inserted this piece in the small gap between the volume rocker and the body. Rattle gone, problem solved!