What's new

Losing VHD on SD after reboot

Kris

Every time I reboot my SP3 no longer sees the VHD I created for my one drive on my SD card and I get this message
Capture.JPG
I created a shortcut, to my VHD, on my desktop and if I double click it the message goes away but my OneDrive goes through the process of verifying it's entire contents.
If I go to Disk Management before I double click on the shortcut I do not see the VHD drive there or in Explorer either. I have formatted the SD card multiple times and same issue every time I reboot. I am using this method to create a VHD. I also used a method of linking my SD card to my C drive but now both are giving me this error. Did my card go bad or has something changed?

Edit: I only have the I3 64GB model so disk space is very important.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every time I reboot my SP3 no longer sees the VHD I created for my one drive on my SD card and I get this message
View attachment 7616 I created a shortcut, to my VHD, on my desktop and if I double click it the message goes away but my OneDrive goes through the process of verifying it's entire contents.
If I go to Disk Management before I double click on the shortcut I do not see the VHD drive there or in Explorer either. I have formatted the SD card multiple times and same issue every time I reboot. I am using this method to create a VHD. I also used a method of linking my SD card to my C drive but now both are giving me this error. Did my card go bad or has something changed?

Edit: I only have the I3 64GB model so disk space is very important.

I apologize in advance, but are you talking about a cloud drive with VHD? Virtual Hard Drive.... I just found out that I can add a MicroSD card and I am ecstatic.

OP
K

Kris

Windows 10 does not automatically mount VHDs after a reboot. You must go into Disk Management and "Attach VHD" (or equivalent) to mount the VHD so that OneDrive can see it.

Attach VHD on Startup Automatically shows how to do it automatically at startup.
Odd it was working perfectly fine for months then it started doing this, I will try your method and let you know if it works. Thanks in advance.

I apologize in advance, but are you talking about a cloud drive with VHD? Virtual Hard Drive.... I just found out that I can add a MicroSD card and I am ecstatic.

Yes. only way I can sync cloud storage since I only have 64GB on my SP3, more like 20GB after windows and other programs.

OP
K

Kris

Windows 10 does not automatically mount VHDs after a reboot. You must go into Disk Management and "Attach VHD" (or equivalent) to mount the VHD so that OneDrive can see it.

Attach VHD on Startup Automatically shows how to do it automatically at startup.
It did not work for now I ran "shell:startup" and put a copy of the VHD shortcut into that folder. It will have to be a band-aid fix until I figure out the real issue.

OP
K

Kris

So I tried the method on this page and it still did not work but at the bottom of the page there was a comment that for some reason is working. It might have been a combo of the 2 but here is what finally made it work
Set up automatic mounting on system startup. -Win+W, type Schedule Tasks, enter. In the tree on the left side,click on “Task Scheduler Library”
-From the “Actions” pane, click on “Create Task”
Enter “mount D:\disk.vhd” (or anything you’d like) as the task name. Likewise description is optional -Select “Run whether user is logged on or not” Check “Run with highest privileges” -In Triggers tab, click New, select “At startup” and press OK.
-In Actions tab, click on New. Select “Start a program” as Action. In program/script, put “C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe.”
In add arguments, write exactly
“-command “mount-diskimage D:\disk.vhd””
-In Conditions tab, uncheck everything. Press OK
Enter your Windows password and press OK. That’s it!
Restart the system and see if your new drive is visible after login

After putting OneDrive on it, I deleted the VHD and my SD card is still showing up as D:\
hopefully I found the fix but still no idea as to why it stopped working in the first place.