What's new

Lost Link to Windows Store on Windows 8 Desktop

Russ

Ok, it's a good day for feeling foolish . . . . . .

I am running three copies of Win8:
- Surface RT
- Win8 Pro as primary OS on my shop computer
- Win8 Pro as BIOS selectable boot on my "main computer" in the living room. (Win7 is primary on this system -- separate HD)

Somehow, I have lost the link to the Windows Store on my main computer. It's just gone and I don't know how to get it back. When I list "all apps," it's not there. I have no idea what I might have done to cause it to go away.

Only thing that comes to mind is that I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to add Windows Media Center to that computer. I go through the "Add Features" process, and eventually it tells me it can't do it. Have not yet been interested enough to experiment with that, although I do have to re-activate Win8 after each failed attempt. I have no idea if that has any connection to my lost Store link; it's just FWIW.

I have tried searching for "Store" and "Windows Store," but get only marginally related links.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Regards,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Search for Marketplace...

Thanks, but I get no results from that search either. My semi-Buddhist Ladyfriend tells me it's probably something I did in a previous life.

The quest continues.

Regards,
Russ

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Lost Link to Windows Store on Windows 8 Desktop

Try to refresh windows (search for methods on this forum).

Last edited:
OP
Russ

Russ

Bosamar: Yes I am signed in to my account.

Mr. NK: Thanks for the suggestion, but I think Refresh will be somewhere near the end of my list of things to try. I have a lot of installed material that I don't want to lose. Mostly I use the Store for my RT, but there was one app that I had wanted to run on my Win8 desktop machine as well. Unfortunately, I don't even know when it disappeared, so System Restore would be a daunting, and possibly unproductive, task.

Maybe some future Win8 update will fix the problem.

Thanks,
Russ

R0bR

As a temporary solution you can create a shortcut for "ms-windows-store:" (without quotes, but include the colon), or just type that at the RUN prompt, it will bring up the store. I lost a number of icons after a Windows Update once on my W8 laptop and running a "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt (again without quotes but need to run command prompt with admin privileges) brought them all back. The sfc command cleans up any system file corruptions.