What's new

Love everything about surface book, but not the hinge!

Korlon

I don't know if the hinge is as bad as the rest, I went from a laptop to SP2 and am still there in my computer/tablet evolution. All I know is while the clamshell is boring, it closes shut. This hinge renders no closed state for the SB and that is very worrisome for me considering the money I'd have to put up buying it, and I do sooo badly want to buy it.

It may be lightweight and powerful, but just how portable is this thing really if it doesn't seal shut?

Am I overthinking this issue?

OP
D

double07

I want to buy this SB as well. I just sold my SP3. I will have to go back to BestBuy and do some pressure test while closing. I hope they don't yield at me.

Last edited:

Telstar1948

I've found with laptops and the SP that junk and crud gets deposited on the keyboard and screen when they're open while I use them. Just lying in a case, setting open on a table not being used, the screens and keyboards accumulate virtually nothing in the way of debris or dust.

Each to their own way of doing things, but if I were to get a SB (I'm dying for one...), I wouldn't put it in a bag without a sleeve just to protect the finish not because I would have any concern about dust bunnies in a bag.

Korlon

Point taken, however it's not just dust bunnies which concern me. The pen, when it disengages from the magnetic clip while in the sleeve will cause damage to the finish as it moves around. Get another sleeve/pouch for the pen as well? keep it out of the sleeve with the SB and potentially misplace or worse lose it?

bluegrass

Not having played with the SB may make this opinion moot, but my major concern is that darned gap. There is no state (open, closed, reversed) which prevents foreign objects from getting inside. Obviously I wouldn't put this thing in a bag with a hammer or cast iron sheers but I know my bag/knapsack/briefcases are filthy with dust, hair, particles from whatever, and I also know that stuff will get into the keyboard and stick to the screen.

Someone will obviously respond with "Get a bag or pouch to put the SB in". Let me ask about the insanity of buying a bag for something just to put it into another bag. If that doesn't ring a chord, well what happens when that SB case/bag/pouch whatever gets dirty? Buy another?

Hinge looks cool, but the practicality of it I seriously question.

Whatever it takes to keep it clean is cool with me. Many bags have a separate compartment to place you tablet or laptop in.

mtmowl

Another reason for the unrolling hinge is to increase the moment, or leverage, of the keyboard in balancing the backwards-leaning display. It makes the whole thing less likely to tip by giving it a longer base.

Telstar1948

Point taken, however it's not just dust bunnies which concern me. The pen, when it disengages from the magnetic clip while in the sleeve will cause damage to the finish as it moves around. Get another sleeve/pouch for the pen as well? keep it out of the sleeve with the SB and potentially misplace or worse lose it?

Yeah, don't know about the pen since I don't have an SB. On my SP my pen is in the loop on the left side. When I place my SP in its sleeve, the pen goes along for the ride since the sleeve is wide enough to accommodate it attached to the left side when I zip it up.

ipotissim

At first I was very concerned about the hinge design especially the gap when laptop is completely closed. After few days of carrying it around, I changed my mind. I actually love the fact that it is thicker on one end. It doesn't feel like laptop is going to slip from your grip

CMD

I love the hinge on my SB. Feels so much more sturdy than the Lenovo and Dell alternatives. Also like to have the larger hinge end to grab it by when it is closed. It is also much more balanced when I am reclined and typing with it on my upper lap / stomach area.

One note to anyone concerned about "dust and junk" getting into the hinge; anything that can get into the hinge area can also get into the USB, SD, and display port. If you have that kind of dirty bag, i would recommend a sleeve for any laptop.

mcsenerd

Of all the things that might be "true" issues with the SB... The hinge is far, far, FAR down on the list. It might not be perfect, but for the intended purpose...I think they did a wonderful job in designing it. It just...works (at least...as long as the software lets it).

Inversion

I was in Japan recently and had 3 different people come up to me to check out the SB. They are not selling these there yet. It was the hinge that people noticed and were drawn in by.

I only wished it would "lean back" just a little more.