What's new

Solved loving windows 10 but no more split screen??

Cambo

I am loving the new windows 10but i can't get the split screens to work.is this feature gone in w10?

BobG

Can't totally explain how until I play with it some more, but the snapping feature works with quadrants (4 corners). I think you have to be in tablet mode, otherwise you just use the standard desktop features.

Cyb3rDud3

Its ok I got it figured now..bit of a learning curve
Would you mind explaining how you've done it in here? I used to like that as well, and whilst window snapping is great and improved with the quadrants, I would still like to do split screen as well.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
First you have to enable tablet mode. This activates the 8.1 style "swipe down from top" action for closing apps. Open an ap, and swipe down, but instead of dragging it to the bottom, drag it to the left or right edge. You will now be in split screen.

It will immediately open up a task view in the empty half of the screen allowing you to select a running app or window to populate the second half of the screen, and you resize with the centre slider like on 8.1

I've not personally found a way of having 3 windows/apps open in tablet mode, nor a means of using the quadrants. Maybe that is reserved for desktop mode.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In this connection, is it possible to have split screen - vertically - in tablet mode? Thanks.

Not that I can find, and there is zero split screen capabilities when using the device in portrait.

You may also note that when in split screen, you will not be able to rotate the tablet, in any way. It basically enables its own rotation lock.

kristalsoldier

Not that I can find, and there is zero split screen capabilities when using the device in portrait.

You may also note that when in split screen, you will not be able to rotate the tablet, in any way. It basically enables its own rotation lock.

Thanks! This kind of sucks!!!!!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! This kind of sucks!!!!!

It does. Maybe it will change one day. Hey, the youtube app, probably one of the most used apps there is, has only jut been updated to allow full screen portrait mode videos, so clearly everyone is lagging behind in "duh..." features

2 windows 1 above the other in portrait mode just seems like complete common sense. Maybe it will be a case of the complexity in implementing it in an easy to understand manner (this thread shows that normal split screen was tricky enough) will overrule the use of the feature and we won't see it

kristalsoldier

It does. Maybe it will change one day. Hey, the youtube app, probably one of the most used apps there is, has only jut been updated to allow full screen portrait mode videos, so clearly everyone is lagging behind in "duh..." features

2 windows 1 above the other in portrait mode just seems like complete common sense. Maybe it will be a case of the complexity in implementing it in an easy to understand manner (this thread shows that normal split screen was tricky enough) will overrule the use of the feature and we won't see it

Well...see here is the thing I don't really get with MS - if you think about it when we split screen in landscape mode into two apps, we get then side by side. Now, if we rotate the screen to portrait mode then we can get that split screen in portrait mode too - here is a use case scenario - lower half of the screen you have OneNote open...top half you have a PDF file...you can write in OneNote and refer to the PDF document without slipping through screens! But why would an intelligent company like MS think and implement things like these???