What's new

Low Win 8 Sales?

archapacman

vista was bad because it was not for everyone. windows 8 however, is for everyone. It is faster, smoother, and can be placed into many form factors. It will take some time for the general audience to figure that out

leeshor

I need to throw my $0.02 in here, (again). When Microsoft was developing Windows 7 they listened to bloggers on the Microsoft blogs and implemented many if not most of the desktop OS "change" suggestions. When it came to the desktop version of Windows 8 they hardly listened at all. There are those that love Windows 8 on the desktop, and those that don't, but it would appear there are more that don't than there were when Windows 7 came out. (I'm not speaking about tablets or phones)!

If it's the fast start and fast shutdown that appeals to you, fine, Microsoft could have played the same "trick" with Windows 7. I had Windows 8 running in my office for many months, from the beta onward, but when it came time to replace one of my systems I decided to put Windows 8 in a VM on a Windows 7 system.

/rant
Keep in mind that when Vista and Windows ME were release they had some fans too.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Huge difference going from Vista to Windows 7 though. They could afford to listen because Win 7 was essentially Vista with a new name and a few improvements. Windows 8 is a completely new direction so it wouldn't make sense to listen to suggestions. It is different period and nobody knows where MS wants to go with their new direction other than MS. Once Windows 8 has been out and gained acceptance then it is reasonable that MS take suggestions on improvements for Windows 9 based on how Windows 8 actually is and where it needs improvement.

In a way it would sort of be like Apple taking advice from everybody that had phone experience with the Razor or Blackberries prior to launching the iPhone. It couldn't happen because the iPhone was such a departure those suggestions wouldn't have made sense in the new context.

/counter-rant ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well just read the article and although Paul Thurrott is considered a Windows blogger authority I think he has missed the mark quite a bit in his analysis. Maybe he is just too close to all of it. I won't go through and refute with my take point by point but I think it is way way way too early to declare Windows 8 DOA. Even the "failed" Vista still sold millions of copies per month.

Many reviewers/bloggers have echoed Paul's thoughts about the duality of Windows 8 and that it wouldn't make sense. However, since the actual release of Windows 8 and for those reviewers that have been using it, Windows 8 makes sense after spending time with it and the majority of the reviews now say that they would not go back after switching to Windows 8. It is very telling how the OS is shocking but grows on you once you start getting use to it.

Here is a good article comparing XP, Vista and Win 7 numbers. How Do 400 Million Windows 7 Licenses Compare Against Windows XP and Vista History? (XP avg 8MM/month*, Vista avg 8MM/month, Win7 avg 20MM/month, *fewer overall PC sales during XP's run though). If Windows 8 gets anywhere close to any of these launches (no reason it won't) it will become wide spread enough to change the direction of Windows and by Windows 9 people will be comfortable with the new direction. It is only shocking until it isn't.

JP

Edit: Reading the article comments gives some good thought and counterpoint to the issues in the article. More fear mongering from the "media" to drive blog hits?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr.Dan

I have to admit that Win8 deffinitely has some learning curve, such as touch cover.. the point is, does it make the job easier?
From my point of view... im kinda confused by Metro on laptops without touchscreen.. i find it completely useless. The only good thing is marketplace. Its gonna be completely different story if the touchless control makes it way through. Maybe :)
Everything else is better than on Win7.. cleaning, reinstalling,.. I like it. The minor setback for me is slightly worse performance in games due to driver incompatibility of my graphic card (possibly).. time is gonna heal that hopefully

Hans

The Metro apps definitely don't make sense on a computer with a screen resolution that isn't high enough to allow for side-by-side display of 2 apps (and they shouldn't limit the split screen to just two). You don't want to switch in and out just to see what is going on elsewhere. So on my laptop I use it almost exclusively in desktop mode. But by now I like the new start screen and the settings. And the best thing is how quickly Windows powers down and restarts.

compnovo

The Metro apps definitely don't make sense on a computer with a screen resolution that isn't high enough to allow for side-by-side display of 2 apps (and they shouldn't limit the split screen to just two). You don't want to switch in and out just to see what is going on elsewhere. So on my laptop I use it almost exclusively in desktop mode. But by now I like the new start screen and the settings. And the best thing is how quickly Windows powers down and restarts.

Just for giggles I had Win8 RTM on my Acer Aspire One netbook for a while. Due to the screen resolution I couldn't run any of the Apps so the Metro UI was strictly a start screen. I couldn't believe how much the performance improved on the netbook, it was like I had upgraded the processor.

Sin

I have Windows 8 on my Mini9 and had to regedit Display1_DownScalingSupported from 0 to 1 and reboot. I was then able to up the screen resolution and run Metro apps.

leeshor

I'm running it under VMWARE 9 and it demanded 1024x768 to run most of the tiles. Relatively easy on most PCs, but I worked around it.

Sin

My Mini9 has a screen resolution of 1024 x 600. When I installed Windows 8 I was unable to use any Metro apps as the screen resolution was insufficient. After tweaking the registry, I am able to put the screen resolution up to 1154 x 864, which is enough to allow for the use of Metro apps.