What's new

Low Win 8 Sales?

Sin

I did a find on Display1_DownScalingSupported. I believe it dependent on the video driver. On my Mini9, it's located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Video/{DEE41D39-EBA6-41DC-912B-2D92E5028F00}/0000/Display1_DownScalingSupported.

Hans

I did locate it, but I also could only go up to 1154x864, so it makes no sense for me. Looks a lot worse then my current resolution of 1280x800 and still doesn't allow me to display 2 apps side-by-side. But thanks for trying to help.

Rallicat

I think sales are bad because the buzz around Windows 8 has been fairly negative. The tech blogs and news sites have all latched on to the same message - that change is bad. It's fairly obvious to pick out the new UI, declare that foisting it on desktop machines is a bad thing, and then shout about it as loudly as possible, and that's exactly what they've done.

The reality is far less sensationalist, but enough mud has been thrown that some of it has stuck, and it will take time to undo that damage.
Microsoft could simply wait for the market to sort itself out -even Windows XP didn't get off to a great start for the first year or two- but I hope they'll go ahead and make some big improvements over time to show they are prepared to invest in Windows 8's success in the long term, rather than just focus on Windows 9.

Time will tell, but speaking personally, I like Windows 8 (of course I do - I bought a Surface!).

zubo

i think you have a skewed comparison here... There are those that love Windows 8 on the desktop, and those that don't, but it would appear there are more that don't ... so your measurement is based upon those who POST SOMEWHERE that they dont like it as opposed to those who bother to post that they do??? ... I think you will find with any product that those posting will always have some gripe to post about, whereas if it works fine for you... just use it...

yes thats just my $0.02

oh... I love it btw, how surprising that I even bother posting

zubo

yes, there are far too many big bloggers around who love to hear their voice and more importantly think everyone else does... and think they speak with significant authority.

They know jack-sh.. I have been in the business a very long time and I just wish that all these so called experts would go away.... they really are like a bunch of sheep.

Of course W8 is not perfect, but MS has done a remarkable job and continues to do so. MS will refine and bug fix and stabilise this product, and their support (which I've used to report issues and resolve problems) has been excellent.

Yes I'm loving it, I have W8 on my desktop and on Surface RT and when Pro is out I'll buy that too.

R0bR

Most tech bloggers post to get clicks and bashing W8 gets the clicks, actually bashing Microsoft does. Yet with all the negative articles being written you read the comments and many are bashing the authors and stating their like of W8.

machistmo

Vista was bad because Vista was bad. Microsoft used the old system to develop it. They walled the developers off and had them toss it over the wall when it was done. They didn't include anyone in the development process so the device support sucked etc. It was bad, PERIOD.

machistmo

According some reports they have sold 40 million copies of 8 in a month. Keep in mind that MS did not intend 8 to be adopted into the enterprise at this time, at least it seems that way.

pallentx

I dont think Paul is that far off. A lot of factors coming together. A lot of people afraid of the "radical new interface". The economy is terrible and people are getting away from desktops and even laptops in favor of more mobile, portable devices. I think they are also, in a way, victims of their own success. Windows 7 is great. A lot of people sticking with the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" approach.

BTW - my experience with Vista was pretty good. I thought it was a nice improvement over XP :p