What's new

Lower end Surface 4?

jrioux

I've been mostly happy with my Surface RT as a laptop replacement. It's great for email, note taking, basic word processing and spreadsheets. I recently used it at a retreat to run a PowerPoint presentation. My main complaint is that the small type size in MS Office for my aging eyes. (I can enlarge the text in documents, but not the commands.)

I'd sure like to replace my RT with a modestly priced larger screen tablet and keyboard. Is there any chance that Microsoft will introduce a non-Pro Surface 4 with an Atom or Core M processor? The ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi looks interesting, but I'm a little leary about it's quality.

Any comments would be appreciated.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All indications are Microsoft is vacating that market segment and leaving it to partners. There might be an outside chance of a low end Full Windows device but they are saying RT is dead. Maybe they would reconsider if enough RT users screamed at them but the probability of that seems to be about .000001%

leeshor

I've been mostly happy with my Surface RT as a laptop replacement. It's great for email, note taking, basic word processing and spreadsheets. I recently used it at a retreat to run a PowerPoint presentation. My main complaint is that the small type size in MS Office for my aging eyes. (I can enlarge the text in documents, but not the commands.)

I'd sure like to replace my RT with a modestly priced larger screen tablet and keyboard. Is there any chance that Microsoft will introduce a non-Pro Surface 4 with an Atom or Core M processor? The ASUS Transformer Book T300 Chi looks interesting, but I'm a little leary about it's quality.

Any comments would be appreciated.
With respect to the Transformer Book T300 Chi the only complaint so far has been battery life but even that has been more in the eyes of reviewers. It has some really nice specs. But it isn't a Surface Pro!

OP
jrioux

jrioux

Thanks, GreyFox. Either full windows or RT would work for me. I've used so may different OSes over the last 35 years that the OS really doesn't matter so long as it's stable and supports the programs that I use. I like the quality and light weight of my RT, which is why I'd like MS to produce a lower end Surface 4.

Does anyone have experience with ASUS tablets or transformers.

leeshor

Thanks, GreyFox. Either full windows or RT would work for me. I've used so may different OSes over the last 35 years that the OS really doesn't matter so long as it's stable and supports the programs that I use. I like the quality and light weight of my RT, which is why I'd like MS to produce a lower end Surface 4.

Does anyone have experience with ASUS tablets or transformers.
Yes, I do, and I am also an Admin here. http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/forum.php

OP
jrioux

jrioux

Thanks leeshor, I'm wondering whether the Chi will be close enough. I guess I'll have to wait until more of them get into circulation to really know.

leeshor

One member at that forum got one last night then read some reviews about the Chi and was concerned only about the battery but has quickly learned to love it. He went from "I'm going to return it" to "I love it" in 5 hours" ;)

OP
jrioux

jrioux

One member at that forum got one last night then read some reviews about the Chi and was concerned only about the battery but has quickly learned to love it. He went from "I'm going to return it" to "I love it" in 5 hours" ;)
The specs look awfully good. I hope he still loves it in 5 days... and 5 weeks... and 5 months.

CrippsCorner

The Verge is my go to for any technology related news, they recently put up a review of the Chi, to sum up...

Good stuff:
  • It's really thin!
  • Solid build quality
  • Fast performance
Bad stuff:
  • Below average battery life
  • Trackpad is too small
  • Connecting anything requires an adapter
  • Keyboard hinge doesn't rotate far enough
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/23/8273331/asus-transformer-book-t300-chi-laptop-convertible-review

7.2/10

Regarding a new Surface... heard a rumour there might be an 8" Core M Surface Mini, really hoping so!