What's new

LTE wireless Surface Pro compatible with 4G in Europe?

MH57

Does anyone know if the LTE wireless Surface Pro i5 is compatible with the 4G networks in Europe?
A friend of me will go to the US to study and would like to buy one.
But I very much doubt if the wireless option will also work if he wants to use his US Surface tablet when back in Europe on the 4G networks here ....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the LTE wireless Surface Pro i5 is compatible with the 4G networks in Europe?
A friend of me will go to the US to study and would like to buy one.
But I very much doubt if the wireless option will also work if he wants to use his US Surface tablet when back in Europe on the 4G networks here ....
It should be fine - it's why many international businesses and airlines have deployed them -

From the FAQ -
I’m going to travel to a different country. Do I need to change any settings on my Surface?

If you’re concerned about costs, and have a plan with a mobile operator, contact them to learn about international data plan options. You may also be able to purchase a prepaid SIM card or mobile broadband data plan from a local operator when you get to the country you’re visiting.

If you have a plan through the Microsoft Store, open the Paid Wi-Fi & Cellular app for your device and then contact your plan provider.

Either way, you may want to change some settings on your Surface to avoid possible data charges when you are out of your covered mobile network area. Here’s how:

Go to Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Cellular, and select the network you want to use. If Allow roaming is checked, clear it. Then select Connect.

Tip: When traveling, turn off mobile broadband and use a Wi-Fi connection when it’s available to avoid charges.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023492/mobile-broadband-4g-faq

The LTE Advanced used has global coverage (20 Bands), the device is currently in 22 markets and will expand to another 8 later this year.

Plantje

I have a Surface Pro LTE and it works fine in the Netherlands. I am pretty sure it is exactly the same device as the ones sold in the US