What's new

Mac to Surface? Are you still Happy?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OSX Converts and Adherents will never waiver from the love of their OS and anything said to the contrary will be dismissed....and you will be invited to try because given a chance you too will gladly assimilate into the ecosystem....

Windows Users will draw a line in the sand and defend their Holy OS and its virtues and list all the things that theirs offers the computing world.

This becomes a religious debate and there can be no winners....

Lobo

@jnjroach I agree that religious debates are complete nonsense. Those bug me the most actually, since all systems have their usage scenarios. Might as well rant about an expensive 18 PFLOPS Cray cluster because it won't even run the newest Games. But that doesn't make it inherently good or bad, it's about what meets your demands.

I'm not sure if you referred to me, since I only stated my experience but rest assured I'll waiver alright as soon as there is a better alternative. Buying a Surface should be a clear sign in that regard.

Also, I'm aware of Apple's drawbacks, which I don't fail to mention either (e.g. the golden cage, compatibility, Apple way or the highway).

Who knows, maybe Windows 9 comes around and is above and beyond OS X Yosemite – I'll gladly use it. And I'll give it a try either way.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally agree with the above it works (except the latest update to iOS8.. but lets not go there) etc
OSX Converts and Adherents will never waiver from the love of their OS and anything said to the contrary will be dismissed....and you will be invited to try because given a chance you too will gladly assimilate into the ecosystem....

Windows Users will draw a line in the sand and defend their Holy OS and its virtues and list all the things that theirs offers the computing world.

This becomes a religious debate and there can be no winners....

This is true, there's a choice to be agnostic or even a fanatic - but there's not much hope of being atheist though

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
@jnjroach I agree that religious debates are complete nonsense. Those bug me the most actually, since all systems have their usage scenarios. Might as well rant about an expensive 18 PFLOPS Cray cluster because it won't even run the newest Games. But that doesn't make it inherently good or bad, it's about what meets your demands.

I'm not sure if you referred to me, since I only stated my experience but rest assured I'll waiver alright as soon as there is a better alternative. Buying a Surface should be a clear sign in that regard.

Also, I'm aware of Apple's drawbacks, which I don't fail to mention either (e.g. the golden cage, compatibility, Apple way or the highway).

Who knows, maybe Windows 9 comes around and is above and beyond OS X Yosemite – I'll gladly use it. And I'll give it a try either way.
It is a general observation not targeted at any individual, Microsoft has tempted many MBA\MBP Owners with the Surface Line and those that bite end up with this banter....This forum more than most ends up with countless threads that devolve into the Apple vs. Microsoft and it just get tiresome....

InspectHerGadget

The debate here has generally been quite reasonable. As long as people get their facts right and don't hold unreasonable positions, it can be debated.

Apple products are just great and generally don't have the annoying rough edges Microsoft and Windows have.

Microsoft and Windows are getting better but Microsoft's strengths in time are the integration of services.

The Surface is doing well but still has annoying foibles you most likely wouldn't get if Apple had been left to supervise manufacture. I like the SP3 but not so the pen and inking. I love my SP2 but hate the way there is a delay on the modern IE when I go back through the pages. They just don't fix stuff that should have been fixed ages ago.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just discovered smartglass for my xbox 360 on my surface and windows phone.... love it!! I'd played with smartglass on my android phone and thought "meh" but it seems to work so much better on the windows devices (as it should really ) or maybe I never really gave it a chance to shine on my android phone... I don't know. Any hoo, I'm loving adding the xbox into the whole MS experience... so now I'm completely Microsoft'ed up with my windows phone, Surface windows PC (though it is only win 7 so not fully integrated) and my xbox!. The xbox has been with me since Kinect was launched as I love the kinect games and noone else had anything close, but we use it as a media player more often than not with Netflix etc. It's never really been part of my "ecosystem" but is much more so now I can integrate it with the Surface and phone... brill.. and eventually when I upgrade my PC to win 9 perhaps I'll use the xbox remote control from there too.

Manic

I had a MacBook Pro Mid-2007 and I wanted to switch to a more tablet-like laptop. Bought a i5 256 GB SP3 and I love it. Microsoft has come a long way from purely fonctionnal Windows OS to actually enjoyable hardware and software, that's what I like about Windows 8 and the Surface. I still got a ton of Apple hardware: iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini and Apple TV... and a Xbox One!

So, yes, I'm happy :)

Dblkk

I am a SP1 since launch week user. Went through 4 launch, miscellaneous problems ranging from motherboard to power.

Right now, I have the sp3 and 2014 MacBook pro retina 13. I got the MacBook a few weeks after the surface. My first three surface has major issues. One wouldn't even let me power on and finish the first boot install steps without restarting and going through a repair loop. Ran for 24+ hours, never finished. Second one would have the WiFi on wakeup issue, except instead of resetting the adapter it would bluescreen crash every time. The third one would randomly shut off. Sometimes it was just the screen and it went into like sleep, others it would be a full shut off. It could be on battery or plugged in didn't matter.

So all ticked I went and got the MacBook pro retina. I have a large 17' workstation laptop, and a workstation pc, I just want something small thin light and good battery for travel. I really wanted a zenbook but bb didn't sell them anymore at the time, and they were $2000.

I love my mac, hardware is great, solid, you can open it and clean out fans, sometime in the future may be able to buy and replace the SSD as well.

Software wise, I see how/why people like it. But I'm a straight windows user. All my machines are windows, all account are windows. I had a heck of a time even getting mail/colander/contacts to sync to mac. Problem for me is, almost all I do I strictly windows only programs. No biggie, just install parallels and windows. But doing that, I'm in windows for everything except basically web browsing or light picture editing. Gone is good battery, gone is good trackpad, ect.

Plus having the SP1 for over a year now, and being a electro/mechanical engineer, the surface pro was a 'tablet pc' for me. Not being able to write notes and sit on couch all snug with a tablet was a big deal, missed, but not a big deal. But going out in the field, and then having to balance a laptop with left hand while using mouse/keyboard with right hand, was a deal breaker.

So I went back, and went through anout 3 SP3 before I got one that wasn't unusable. Yes there are things on the mac I miss, but ..

I guess its just the SP3 style device is just tailored perfect for my needs.

Now I have both, I only use the surface. Can't tell you when I used MacBook last. Wife grabbed it asap when I rebought the surface, but she's not tech savvy and can't figure out the mac operating system, so she's back on her 4 yr old Asus.

The mac is really a great laptop and if I needed a 13" light powerful laptop, and if I weren't so windows tied I would be very happy with the mac. Problem is, everything I do is windows, and I need a tablet pc. The MacBook pro retina 15 is a joke. For $2500 I could either get the MacBook, or what I got. Which is 17" MSI gt70 dominator pro, i7 4810mq, 880m stock graphics (which I sold and bought a quaddro k5100m), 24gb ram, 3x 500gb Mata (windows 7, windows 8, scratch disk), 1 1tb 2.5 samsung evo sad for data storage. Its not as sleek/thin/light as the MacBook, but performance wise it just blows the MacBook out of the water, and instead of maxing at 512 or even 1tb of storage, I have 2.5tb of sad, with capability of 5tb of SSDd storage.

And like I said, all major programs I use are windows. Solidworks, Sony Vegas Pro, several file converters, rockwellautomation software, blender, ect.

So, no. No regrets going to surface pro from a mac. But I can see why people really like Mac, its just not for me. While the opposite might be for others.