What's new

Macbook cases that fit SB2 15 inch and quesiton about hinge

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Mine just came and it's pretty good. It fits the SB2 15 inch perfectly. Nothing hangs out. I could drop it with the flap open and I don't think it would be damaged though I'm not exactly going to test that claim. It's more about peace of mind. The pocket in the front easily holds everything surface related. Charger, pen, surface dial and a phone charger/cable. in the accessory pocket there are two smaller pockets that hold the pen and surface dial which is a bonus. I hate to have the steel prongs of the surface charger scratch either of them. I'll add that the little pocket for the pen is shallow so the pen doesn't just sink into the pocket with no way to get it out. I've had this trouble with other surface cases. The button is the magnetic snap variety and functions very well. The magnet is highly magnetic. Once it finds it's home the clasp is very tight. Even with the added weight of the surface book in the bag I can pick the whole thing up by the leather tab with out it unclasping. I have to hold my hand on the bag while pulling up on the tab in order to open it. For me that's a bonus. I dislike flimsy clasps.

The interior is a black synthetic fiber weave. It's not typical microfiber cloth but somewhat close. It's soft to the touch a just a little bit fuzzy. In between the interior cloth and waxed canvas is a layer of neoprene (wet suit rubber) of about one quarter inch in thickness. It's appears to be enough padding to protect it from an accidental whack against a poll on a bus or a drop. This case would provide little protection against any crushing force which is a big concern for me. There doesn't appear to be any protection from where the screen meets the keyboard when folded down. I've resorted to putting a rubber band across the top of the screen's bezel.

It's color is hard to describe even in person. It's pretty much the exact same color as it is in these photographs. In my imagination this is how people who have certain red-green colorblindness see the color green as this soupy greenish beige. jnjroach had it right that it in between dark British khaki and olive drab. Because the green is so muted it's be hard for this bag not to go with any outfit with out it looking out of place. Anything from a Seahawks jersey to a formal suit of any color.

Overall the build quality of this bag is good. The stitches are straight and even. Because this is made from padded canvas it has a hand sewed look rather than a rigid, geometric precision of machine mass production. I'm not worried about this bag falling or wearing apart with in the lifetime of the laptop.

The one draw back for me is the waxed canvas. It's nice but it's already a magnet for cat and dog hair. having it out for 5 minutes to take some pictures for this informal review, I've had to pick off cat hairs and some pencil shavings that were on the coffee table. The tackiness of the canvas made removal a bit of a challenge. Hopefully there's enough room in that pocket for a lint roller. My wife has a waxed canvas rain coat and it had the same problem for a couple of months but in time lost it's tackiness so I'm not all that worried that this thing may end up looking like a tribble.

kfXKiQO.jpg

qR0goJT.jpg

B6GK1uV.jpg

za8hx07.jpg

yswgULQ.jpg

It even goes with Dougie Jones' lime green suit.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Mine just came and it's pretty good. It fits the SB2 15 inch perfectly. Nothing hangs out. I could drop it with the flap open and I don't think it would be damaged though I'm not exactly going to test that claim. It's more about peace of mind. The pocket in the front easily holds everything surface related. Charger, pen, surface dial and a phone charger/cable. in the accessory pocket there are two smaller pockets that hold the pen and surface dial which is a bonus. I hate to have the steel prongs of the surface charger scratch either of them. I'll add that the little pocket for the pen is shallow so the pen doesn't just sink into the pocket with no way to get it out. I've had this trouble with other surface cases. The button is the magnetic snap variety and functions very well. The magnet is highly magnetic. Once it finds it's home the clasp is very tight. Even with the added weight of the surface book in the bag I can pick the whole thing up by the leather tab with out it unclasping. I have to hold my hand on the bag while pulling up on the tab in order to open it. For me that's a bonus. I dislike flimsy clasps.

The interior is a black synthetic fiber weave. It's not typical microfiber cloth but somewhat close. It's soft to the touch a just a little bit fuzzy. In between the interior cloth and waxed canvas is a layer of neoprene (wet suit rubber) of about one quarter inch in thickness. It's appears to be enough padding to protect it from an accidental whack against a poll on a bus or a drop. This case would provide little protection against any crushing force which is a big concern for me. There doesn't appear to be any protection from where the screen meets the keyboard when folded down. I've resorted to putting a rubber band across the top of the screen's bezel.

It's color is hard to describe even in person. It's pretty much the exact same color as it is in these photographs. In my imagination this is how people who have certain red-green colorblindness see the color green as this soupy greenish beige. jnjroach had it right that it in between dark British khaki and olive drab. Because the green is so muted it's be hard for this bag not to go with any outfit with out it looking out of place. Anything from a Seahawks jersey to a formal suit of any color.

Overall the build quality of this bag is good. The stitches are straight and even. Because this is made from padded canvas it has a hand sewed look rather than a rigid, geometric precision of machine mass production. I'm not worried about this bag falling or wearing apart with in the lifetime of the laptop.

The one draw back for me is the waxed canvas. It's nice but it's already a magnet for cat and dog hair. having it out for 5 minutes to take some pictures for this informal review, I've had to pick off cat hairs and some pencil shavings that were on the coffee table. The tackiness of the canvas made removal a bit of a challenge. Hopefully there's enough room in that pocket for a lint roller. My wife has a waxed canvas rain coat and it had the same problem for a couple of months but in time lost it's tackiness so I'm not all that worried that this thing may end up looking like a tribble.

kfXKiQO.jpg

qR0goJT.jpg

B6GK1uV.jpg

za8hx07.jpg

yswgULQ.jpg

It even goes with Dougie Jones' lime green suit.
Looks really good...

everalm

For those on the UK side of the pond, Marks and Spencer sell a leather (not PU pleather) briefcase with sling strap that holds the 15" SB2 comfortably and safely, sufficient internal space and pockets for the usual grab bag of USB drives and cables, PSU etc. Professional looking and doesn't scream "I'm a laptop bag".

I actually used it the other day with …...

1 x SB2, 15"
1 x 2017 Pro and Moko Bluetooth keyboard
1 x 65W PSU and fold flat UK power plug
2 x USB thumb drives
1 x Essential PH1 android phone
2 x USB2 to micro USB cables,
1 x USB3 to USB-C short cable
1 X MS wireless display adapter
1 x USB-C to 3.5mm earphone adapter
1 x wired earpieces
1 x Bose SoundSport Free Bluetooth earphones case
1 x USB-C to HDMI/USB3/USB-C hub