What's new

Macgirl here, considering dumping my Mac and ipad for a SP3

Kif

I got it from Best Buy and Im going there in an hour to swap the SP3 for another one. Really bummed that mine has a dead pixel and couple strands of fuzzy hair underneath. Like wtf. How does hair get under the screen?

I just got back from the Apple Store exchanging an iPad Air 2 that had metal filings under the screen. I was surprised to see it with a bonded screen.

I didn't know NZ had Best Buy. :)

Last edited:

Aeron15

Being a tablet with a keyboard attached can be bothersome sometimes. It isn't a laptop so it won't stand on its own. Right now, I am typing on my SP3 with it resting on my blanket bunched up to make bump so the tablet is against it. But I do love it. It just looks so classy and professional.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being a tablet with a keyboard attached can be bothersome sometimes. It isn't a laptop so it won't stand on its own. Right now, I am typing on my SP3 with it resting on my blanket bunched up to make bump so the tablet is against it. But I do love it. It just looks so classy and professional.
I always laugh at these but a bean pillow would be perfect for that. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got back from the Apple Store exchanging an iPad Air 2 that had metal filings under the screen. I was surprised to see it with a bonded screen.

I didn't know NZ had Best Buy. :)
Id imagine the screen manufacturing is highly automated with conveyors and robots. Anything that moves is subject to wear and those filings are going somewhere, typically wherever they can do the most damage. :)

Telstar1948

Im now on my 3rd SP3 AND 4TH keyboard
Fingers crossed.
It seems MS can never make a keyboard without problem. Stickying keys is unacceptable especially for $130. I had to show the BB rep...they thought i was crazy. Until the geek squad noticed it too and said its not normal, swap it out again

I hope your SP3 experience takes a turn for the better. Your negative experience so far is in the minority, I assure you. Case in point: my i5/8/256 SP3 with type cover has been as nearly perfect as anything manufactured can be. I love my setup. I use mine in my office with a dock, external monitors and all the rest. When done I slip it out and take it with me. I use it as a laptop wherever I happen to be, and I use it as a tablet at other times. I came from a Mac mini desktop, iPad, iPhone etc. I have a Lumina 920 phone now, which is great, but I am considering a Galaxy Note 3 phone for the larger screen and on-the-fly note taking ability. The good-sized screen could double as a small tablet when away from my SP3 or when I just need something quick on the spot. My only hesitation with the phone thing is questions I have about syncing between my SP3 and an Android device. Anyway, I think you'll find your SP3 to be a truly useful and cool device!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope your SP3 experience takes a turn for the better. Your negative experience so far is in the minority, I assure you. Case in point: my i5/8/256 SP3 with type cover has been as nearly perfect as anything manufactured can be. I love my setup. I use mine in my office with a dock, external monitors and all the rest. When done I slip it out and take it with me. I use it as a laptop wherever I happen to be, and I use it as a tablet at other times. I came from a Mac mini desktop, iPad, iPhone etc. I have a Lumina 920 phone now, which is great, but I am considering a Galaxy Note 3 phone for the larger screen and on-the-fly note taking ability. The good-sized screen could double as a small tablet when away from my SP3 or when I just need something quick on the spot. My only hesitation with the phone thing is questions I have about syncing between my SP3 and an Android device. Anyway, I think you'll find your SP3 to be a truly useful and cool device!
If MS would just make a Galaxy Note competitor with a pen; opportunity lost.

r0b123

Now that you've mentioned it, my type keyboard doesn't lay flat either especially in the top corners near the Esc and Backspace keys. All the keys are functional including backlight and shortcut keys. I'm wondering when you exchange your keyboard if the retail/support people are checking to see if the bad keyboards do the same thing on a different Surface system just to rule out your own.

DeltaXray

Hi,
Just like yourself I ditched a MacBook Pro and iPad with an SP3 and now I would not go back. It just fits my requirements so well, it is the all in one device for my work and home use requirements.

The device fits my usage so well that I actually ditched a 15in rMBP in favour of this machine. Nothing bad to say about the rMBP in and of itself but I just find I get things done so much faster with this device.

At the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy (I myself would not even fathom it 6 months ago) but as good as the SP3 is now, the work they're doing with Windows 10 in theory should elevate it to heights Apple will struggle to emulate for a long time. Win 10 sounds on paper like it should be the home run they're looking for and a system seller for hybrid devices like this.

Clovismod

Hi,
Just like yourself I ditched a MacBook Pro and iPad with an SP3 and now I would not go back. It just fits my requirements so well, it is the all in one device for my work and home use requirements.

The device fits my usage so well that I actually ditched a 15in rMBP in favour of this machine. Nothing bad to say about the rMBP in and of itself but I just find I get things done so much faster with this device.

At the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy (I myself would not even fathom it 6 months ago) but as good as the SP3 is now, the work they're doing with Windows 10 in theory should elevate it to heights Apple will struggle to emulate for a long time. Win 10 sounds on paper like it should be the home run they're looking for and a system seller for hybrid devices like this.

seems as you're not alone

http://offtherecord365.tumblr.com/post/101004030134/surface-pro-3-you-win

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course nobody ever said it would replace a MacBook Pro or a Lenovo W520 etc. They said Laptop but always showed Ultrabooks i.e MacBook Air. To be fair it depends on your use case and it might not be able to replace every use case for a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro or whatever your laptop is but you can in many cases and if you want to simplify or consolidate than yes it can replace your laptop AND your other tablet.

If its working for you as it's working for many that's great if not that doesn't mean anyone lied, it just means your criteria for your use case is not met and it may be nothing more than a subjective evaluation of something you prefer over something else. That's called choice. We all get to choose unless we're being repressed.

InspectHerGadget

Hi,

Remember compromise is just that. Compromise.

Most gadget fanciers love their gadgets and compromise when made is minor. So, yes, keyboard on SP3 not the best but good enough, same for trackpad and the benefits of light weight (for a laptop) and pen make up for it.

Let me put it this way if you tried to market a 2 pound tablet with half the battery life of an Android or iPad tablet and way bigger, it would fail in the market.

If they can double the battery life it might have a chance but to me the SP3 is a laptop whatever they may choose to call it. It has useful tablet functions but for just casual tablet use it is just too big and heavy. I'm also not a fan of the browser, needs some work (Modern IE).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember compromise is just that. Compromise.

Most gadget fanciers love their gadgets and compromise when made is minor. So, yes, keyboard on SP3 not the best but good enough, same for trackpad and the benefits of light weight (for a laptop) and pen make up for it.

Let me put it this way if you tried to market a 2 pound tablet with half the battery life of an Android or iPad tablet and way bigger, it would fail in the market.

If they can double the battery life it might have a chance but to me the SP3 is a laptop whatever they may choose to call it. It has useful tablet functions but for just casual tablet use it is just too big and heavy. I'm also not a fan of the browser, needs some work (Modern IE).
Fortunately you are not making the decisions for everyone. The iPad is a *compromise* you like, but not one I like. That's my choice.