What's new

Mail app costumization

David Marques

Hi,

I just got my Surface last week and starting to get some experience on it now.
I use MS Outlook as my main email, calendar, contacts and task management program.
I configured my account on Surface Mail app, but that will only sync email, contacts and calendar, but does not sync Tasks.
First of all, is there any way to sync also Tasks on Surface Mail app?
Second, Mail app syncs last 1 month of emails. But I would like some some time, like 6 months. Is there any way to customize that?

Thanks in advance

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The MUI Mail App isn't designed to track tasks, as far as how much you download, you can do that by swiping from the right...settings...account...select the account and then use the drop down and chose how much to download....

OP
D

David Marques

Hi, it's odd because on my Samung S4, tasks where also syncronized, so it's a bit odd that MS Mail App does not allow it.

About the settings, after 1 month, the only option is anytime. Is this the option? I can define anything after?

Thanks

OP
D

David Marques

All mail is not a good option for me as my PST file is quite large, so it's not good to download all that mail into my Surface account.

So, is there any other option to define the sync period on Mail app?
Also, is there any other options to sync the tasks from Outlook?

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All mail is not a good option for me as my PST file is quite large, so it's not good to download all that mail into my Surface account.

So, is there any other option to define the sync period on Mail app?
Also, is there any other options to sync the tasks from Outlook?

Thanks in advance.
Use Outlook on your Surface is the best option, depending on which Surface Device you are using it may already be installed and ready to use on your device.

OP
D

David Marques

Hi, my Surface is the Surface Pro 128gb. I've got outlook installed on my device.
I don't know is if it will be a big load to the tablet and if it will be too heavy for the battery.
Anyone has experience using outlook on the Surface with big PST files?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I ran Outlook on my Surface RT, Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3, I had 4.5 GB OST for one Account, 3 GB OST for another and 4GB PST for my personal account.

I also had 8GB Archive PST. The Surface will be fine with it...

I use Outlook during the work day and Mail in the evenings and weekend...

OP
D

David Marques

Hi, thanks for your valuable inputs.
And what about battery, do you think that usage "eats" a lot of battery, or you can live well with it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Outlook impacts overall battery life, but how much all depends on how you configure it....if you have it downloading email as it arrives it will use more battery. I use all day at work with other Office Apps and I get 5-7 hours on battery. Lync impacts battery much more then Outlook.