What's new

Mail app on 8.1RT

kristalsoldier

Hi all,

I am running into a problem - at least I think it is a problem.

I have three accounts in the Mail app - an Outlook, Gmail and a work account.

The first and the last have not more than 100 emails (since I pared them down a month or so back). But the Gmail account has over 5K mails and the cumulative site is about 4+ GB.

I have set the Mail app to download email from "anytime" as per the choice afforded in Accounts> Options (via Charms).

I find that the sync (singularly for the Gmail) is taking a lot of time. I have been at it for over 48 hours now. I have installed and reinstalled the Mail app at least 3 times. I also find that the Mail app has become sluggish, it does not throw up the toast notifications as per my configuration, and I fear that this constant syncing is affecting the battery life.

I should add that this was not a problem with the Mail app in 8.0 (and that the same configurations that I have put in the Mail app in 8.1).

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Let it normalize and index your GMAIL account and see if things improve, GMAIL CALdav sync is pretty temperamental on Windows (by Google's design if I were paranoid;) )

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Let it normalize and index your GMAIL account and see if things improve, GMAIL CALdav sync is pretty temperamental on Windows (by Google's design if I were paranoid;) )

Thanks. I'll do that. But how long should I allow for the normalization process?

Also, if I am not mistaken, you did mention that you have weaned yourself away from Google's services. Did you also move your mail out of Gmail? If yes, can you advise as to the best way I can do this? Remember though that I have over 4GB worth of mail that I simply can't afford to lose! Any insights/ hints would be really appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It can take 24 to 48 hours. I only used GMAIL as my throw away account but I migrated by forwarding my GMAIL to Outlook.com first and had people update their address books to my new email address and then closed my account.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Another question about the Mail App.

So, I got my Outlook account to retrieve my mails from my Gmail account. I have two options - either I import the mail into the main Inbox folder or I create a sub-folder to the Inbox and import the mail there. If I do the first, then I get the toast notifications and the number of mails in the Outlook section of the Mail app (I have two sections - one for Outlook and one for my work mail - there was a third, that was the Gmail, but that I removed/ deleted). But if I do the second - create a folder under Inbox and import the mail there, then I don't get the toast notifications and the Outlook section does not show the number of unread mails. The only way that I can see that is by expanding the Folder section and then looking at the sub-folder (under Inbox) for the unread mails.

On the Outlook.com account, however, the system is slightly different - even if I have a sub-folder to the main Inbox, I can see the unread mails.

So, my question is: Can a sub-folder under the main Inbox folder (1) show toast notifications for incoming mails to it? And, (2) Can the sub-folder be made permanently visible or can it only be seen by expanding the folders option (which appears under the main Inbox).

Remember, all this is in the Mail App of the Surface.

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think so Krystal, I have Server Based rules on one of my Work Accounts that sends email to a specific folder and I don't see those unless I check....using Outlook on the desktop would work the way you want it to.