What's new

Mail App question

kristalsoldier

Hi...

I have a quick question:

Can I remove the Mail and Calendar app from my Win 8 desktop machine? Can I also remove it from the Surface RT?

If I can do so, I would replace it with Outlook 2013 on both machines.

Thanks

tonyz3

Hi...

I have a quick question:

Can I remove the Mail and Calendar app from my Win 8 desktop machine? Can I also remove it from the Surface RT?

If I can do so, I would replace it with Outlook 2013 on both machines.

Thanks
keep in mind the people app will go also and you obviously lose the live tile function. but when i use my wifes RT which has been alot more now that it has outlook i use outlook for all of these functions.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

If Outlook 2013 has new mail notification - like what I remember from Outlook 2007, which is the last edition that I used - then I will be OK. I am not particularly enamoured by the Live Tile stuff of the Mail app. Also, I think the extended functionality and stability of Outlook would more than compensate for whatever the Mail app can offer, don't you agree?

Re: The People App: Won't Outlook 2013 have its own contacts database which will be connected to the contacts in the Outlook.com setup?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Re: Toast Notifications: Well then, that pretty much takes care of the issue. If I want on-the-fly updates, my phone can always take care of that!

tonyz3

If Outlook 2013 has new mail notification - like what I remember from Outlook 2007, which is the last edition that I used - then I will be OK. I am not particularly enamoured by the Live Tile stuff of the Mail app. Also, I think the extended functionality and stability of Outlook would more than compensate for whatever the Mail app can offer, don't you agree?

Re: The People App: Won't Outlook 2013 have its own contacts database which will be connected to the contacts in the Outlook.com setup?
Yep, Yep and Yep as Arn said.....I use outlook for all -- I only wish that outlook on RT would be able to use addins--than RT would fly off the shelves. At I would buy another....or two.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

But have any of you removed the Mail app from your machines? Or, have you just kept it dormant and unpinned from the Start screen?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When 8.1 is released there is a brand new Mail App that looks like a Modern Hybrid of Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com that has some really cool new features not found in either of the other products. You can see a demo in the Day One Keynote from www.digitalwpc.com .

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

When 8.1 is released there is a brand new Mail App that looks like a Modern Hybrid of Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com that has some really cool new features not found in either of the other products. You can see a demo in the Day One Keynote from www.digitalwpc.com .

Thanks! Trust you to make things more complicated!!! :big smile:

Prior to this I had not really understood the extent of the changes/ refinements that 8.1 is going to bring to the table!!! I am so looking forward to this. In fact, I am tempted to go and download the preview, but I think I will wait for the formal release.

I loved the idea of the Search, the Skydrive integration and now having moved onto a Windows Phone, the tie-in with that. And, multi-tasking in the Modern UI space!!!! This is one thing that I was really missing!!!

With specific reference to the Mail app, I liked what they have done, but I will have to use it for a few days to see how it feels. And, it seems a waste to not use Outlook 2013 - on my desktop (came with my Office 365 subscription) and soon-to-be-available on the RT. I am trying to work out some way (or metric or analytic) that will help me to decide which one to use.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly use both, I like the notifications on the lock screen and the live tile, I only download a couple of days worth of mail though in the Mail App. I use it as my lite client in the evenings....