What's new

Mail App workaround?

kristalsoldier

Hi...

I know that the Mail app on the RT is very basic. In fact, all it has is the POP option. I have a bit of a problem and wonder if you folks can suggest any workaround and/ or options.

I have linked my Gmail account to Outlook.com. In Outlook.com, I can only set it up such that it "sends as". My Gmail account, however, is linked to my work (academic institution) account, which is set up in terms of labels and sub-labels etc. So, whatever mail I receive in my work account, I receive it - generally quite fast - in my Gmail account. My academic account does not have a POP option - only IMAP, which Outlook.com does not allow.

Is there anyway to link my work account to Outlook.com? As I understand it, there isn't. Which also means that I have to keep a webpage open at all times with Gmail. And, while mails do move from my Gmail account to Outlook.com, sometimes the timelag is a lot, which kinda defeats the purpose.

So, what options do I have, if any?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, is there any way to search for mails in the Mail App? I looked but can't seem to find that option. Maybe I am missing it.

Edit2: How to delete all the emails I transferred over from my Gmail account via Outlook.com to the Mail App on the Surface? And, what happens if I delete the Mail App? In fact, can the Mail App be deleted in the first place?

The part in bold is of particular interest at the moment!

Edit 3: Actually that part I wrote in the second sentence about the Mail app being limited to POP4 accounts is not accurate. My workplace email requires IMAP and the Mail app added it on. In fact, I was offered a choice, which I picked and then put in the info that our Sys Admin gave me. But I have been reading reviews saying that this is a limitation of the app. I am now confused!!!!

Last edited:

Tully

I just bought a MS surface RT-32.

How do I get into my Email settings. I can send from my Hotmail account, but can't get any incoming mail!!

The touch seem to be tricky, do I touch, push or what?

That old guy

Tully

FFX

@Tully same as above, swipe from the right of the screen, in the mail app to reach settings.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

OK. I think I solved the problem. Among other things, I deleted the app and reinstalled it from the Store. It wiped out everything, which is precisely what I wanted. I also was able to set up my work-mail account. Not very difficult - I was just being dense. The only problem that I seem to be facing in the Mail app as of now is moving mails from one folder to another. So, for example, I moved two mails into the "trash". Now I want to move them back into the Inbox. I choose the mails, click on the button to Move, but the app hangs. I wonder how to fix that.

ArnoldC

Apparently, a recent update is the culprit. When I got my RT back in October, I tested the Move option, and it did work. But I don't really move things around, so I never bothered with it 'til you folks mentioned it won't work, and you are correct, it hangs.

I was more pleased with the rendering of mail content though, as previously when my staff sends me a class schedule from Outlook, the format of which I actually made, it appears as unformatted text clutter in the Mail app. The recent update now renders it exactly how it is in Outlook.

Good and bad, oh yes.

:)

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I hope MS issues updates to fix this....seriously, I think if the mail app is fixed then much of the problems with the RT will be solved.

Sin

OK. I think I solved the problem. Among other things, I deleted the app and reinstalled it from the Store. It wiped out everything, which is precisely what I wanted. I also was able to set up my work-mail account. Not very difficult - I was just being dense. The only problem that I seem to be facing in the Mail app as of now is moving mails from one folder to another. So, for example, I moved two mails into the "trash". Now I want to move them back into the Inbox. I choose the mails, click on the button to Move, but the app hangs. I wonder how to fix that.
The Mail app is pretty terrible, but unfortunately we don't have any other real option on the Surface RT. I also fine the Mail app hangs, which I tend to close and re-launch, but I can get my mail to move but it typically take longer than it should. Not the fast application out despite by written by Microsoft with the Surface RT in mind. Really wish the Mail and Calendar applications would get some much needed attention as the are really rather pathetic.