What's new

Make SP3 stay on (screen off) while plugged in?

Johnny365

I'm not too familiar with how Connected Display works. I have utorrent running and every time I leave and come back, the downloads will be at the same place they were when the screen turned off (and plugged into power source). Is there a way to configure it to be active only when plugged in like this?

scottw03

At the moment the only thing I can think of is to plug it in and change to a different power plan where the screen doesn't turn off, just dims or goes to blank.

OP
J

Johnny365

What do you mean doesn't turn off? I have it set to turn off display in 5minutes. Isn't that the same as blanking the screen?

nipponham

Desktop apps will suspend when the machine enters CS. You will need a Metro client for it to work in CS background.

Or, you can disable CS so your machine never sleeps and have desktop apps run continuously.

scottw03

What do you mean doesn't turn off? I have it set to turn off display in 5minutes. Isn't that the same as blanking the screen?
Just like an a regular desktop or laptop, you don't let the tablet go to standby, just have the screensaver come on with a blank screen. Then lower the screen brightness. That is what I am doing when downloading stuff that will take awhile.
I have a separate power plan for "File Transfer/Update" that I turn on. Then switch back later

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As nipponham states, just install a torrent application from the windows store and it should happily chug along in the background while in CS.